4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My build thread - "Negrito"

Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I saw this thread and I was like "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA he's building a 2v I know it!!!!"

Then I saw it was going to be a stock 2v...and cried a little.... I want someone to build a N/A 2v built to the hilt and see what kind of power can be made...Oh well.

There are about a dozen 7000-8500RPM NA 2V going together right now that I was involved with, and I am working on the parts for another 6 or so at the moment. Its starting to become a very popular combination as you can get good power without the crazy cost of a similar 4V build. The issue with the 4V are that the heads/cams/intake cost a fortune for this RPM range, and the smaller chamber size of the PI head really help get the compression up.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

BTW - a big part of this stock build is to put to rest the question of what can the stock valve springs really handle. This motor is going to turn 7000-7200 on the dyno - or until we see some valve float.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
BTW - a big part of this stock build is to put to rest the question of what can the stock valve springs really handle. This motor is going to turn 7000-7200 on the dyno - or until we see some valve float.
How do you tell while the engine is running on the dyno? Will the car start to fall on it's face or what?

I am seriously excited to hear that other builds are going together for the N/A 2v...keep me posted on that will you?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

What gears did Bill have when he posted his 11.97?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:16 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
How do you tell while the engine is running on the dyno? Will the car start to fall on it's face or what?

Power output and A/F ratio get funky suddenly at the same time.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney

And just so there is no question, the valve springs will be from a 500,000 mile taxi motor as will the heads. Block has 80K, rotating assembly has 100K and "4 bottles of nitrous at least" as I was told. Clutch and flywheel are from a 30K mile Terminator.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
What gears did Bill have when he posted his 11.97?

4.30 gears with a 26" slick
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

This thing aint gonna last long...no offense cus I know you know what youre doing. If you were using new stock parts I would be like "this might work" but the heads having 500k miles on them, thats a lil past where our cars valvetrain usually lasts to. lol
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I've kinda heard mixed reviews from the QA1 K member kit. What made you decide on that kit over something else?

Also, any chance you can post pictures of what your cars interior looks like when it is gutted and "race ready"
Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
This thing aint gonna last long...no offense cus I know you know what youre doing. If you were using new stock parts I would be like "this might work" but the heads having 500k miles on them, thats a lil past where our cars valvetrain usually lasts to. lol

No offense taken, but I have 500,000 mile head cores already making 700RWHP at the moment. Its not the mileage at all with these motors its how they are used and maintained. Cores from a fleet program are always in better shape than cores from Mustangs and trucks (the trucks always being the worse condition)

I have tested many many valve springs and the PI head is blessed with heat sinking oil reservoirs for each spring that allow the springs to stay cooler. A 500,000 mile fleet service spring still specs like a brand new spring from the dealership. No other modular head has this heatsinking, not even the TFS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My build thread - "Negrito"