4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My build thread - "Negrito"

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Default My build thread - "Negrito"

For those that don't know, Negrito means little black one, aka my 96GT that is now starting the gutting stage. For the first incarnation I am looking at Bill Putnam's stock longblock NA record and wondering just how fast one can go on a completely stock albeit blueprinted PI 2V longblock. Combo so far:

Stock PI longblock plus cams - I will go through it, clean and blueprint, but otherwise all stock parts. Stock PI pistons, stock valve springs, etc. Block is an Explorer aluminum I picked up for free that needs to be line honed as the crank seized. The rotating assembly is from a 99 Windsor motor as I need the 8 bolt cast crank for an 8 bolt flywheel. Heads will get stock dimension and shape bronze guides, stock type 3 angle valve job, and nothing more. Other parts so far:

Cams with 225/223 duration on a 110LSA
Mark VIII oil pan
3V windage tray
Edelbrock Victor headers
Exhaust will be an 18" pipe with a Bullet muffler at the end
Logan intake manifold with front mount Cobra TB
Stock 03/04 Cobra aluminum flywheel and clutch
Built T45 with billet forks
Aluminum D/S
4.88 spooled rear
Prostars with slicks and skinnies
99GT PBR brakes
QA1 K member

4.88 is a bit much for this combo but the rear is already built. I might have to switch to a 28" tire if MPH gets too high.

I figure we run this combo until January, then the car will get a real motor and get redone for bracket racing. But until then that gives some time to see how low you can push a stock longblock NA PI Mustang. I am surprised nobody else has gone 11's this way so it sounds like a good goal to go after. It might take waiting until some cold air gets back down before we can reach it, Putnam only ran the 11 once on his car I believe.

This is also an example of CBR - Cheap Bastard Racing. Most everything going into this car was bought used and dirt cheap. When I first got the car I was planning for the Grassroots $2000 challenge. Since I didn't get it together and entered figure about 2 years collecting deals here and there for the current new combo.

If you have never heard of the Grassroots you will see my costs are still high compared to what some others have accomplished. I am but an amateur at cheap race car building, these guys are my inspiration:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2010-challenge/

Once we get some more work done on it I will start updating with pictures.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Interestinggg. I hope you break the record!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, I even got Bill Putnam himself to help me out on it
Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

What do you expect the weight to be when all the gutting is said and done?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

And how come manual over auto?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
And how come manual over auto?

thats what I have in the car now, then its going to get a 7500RPM big bore NA NPI motor after this phase is done so I can chase that record next.

Then the NPI motor will get detuned and smaller cammed for 7000RPM shifts and its going bracket racing with a 4R70W and transbrake. The auto won't take kindly to shifts at 7500+............
Old 07-22-2010, 08:01 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
What do you expect the weight to be when all the gutting is said and done?
Probably around 2800-2900lbs without driver. Its getting a gutting but I still want the interior to look stock other than a set of Kirkey seats and rollbar. The rollbar, real subframes, and torque box mods will add some weight back.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
thats what I have in the car now, then its going to get a 7500RPM big bore NA NPI motor after this phase is done so I can chase that record next.

Then the NPI motor will get detuned and smaller cammed for 7000RPM shifts and its going bracket racing with a 4R70W and transbrake. The auto won't take kindly to shifts at 7500+............
big bore FTMFW.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
big bore FTMFW.

To do a NA NPI, it really is the way to go. Otherwise you just never get enough compression in it.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I saw this thread and I was like "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA he's building a 2v I know it!!!!"

Then I saw it was going to be a stock 2v...and cried a little.... I want someone to build a N/A 2v built to the hilt and see what kind of power can be made...Oh well.

Quick Reply: My build thread - "Negrito"