4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

93 octane when your car requires 87

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
So I know that there is absolutely NO performance gain whatsoever if your car is tuned for 87 and you run 93, let me just first make that clear.

What I would like to know, is what actually happens when you put 93 in the tank, and you are stock tuned for 87? Does the engine automatically read that it needs to burn hotter to use this fuel? So, how does that not increase performance? Or does your car combust at a 87 temperature, then leave carbon deposits behind because it never reached it's full temperature of combustion??

I've always been really curious of this...
NEVERMIND
Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

My mpg actually increased using 89 as opposed to 91 Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Valero whatever. I told to my cousin to do the same in his 97 cobra and he, too, noticed an increase in mpg. Again, I don't know why.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by nascrchi
My mpg actually increased using 89 as opposed to 91 Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Valero whatever. I told to my cousin to do the same in his 97 cobra and he, too, noticed an increase in mpg. Again, I don't know why.

lol

come to east coast and reap the benefits of 93
Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
NEVERMIND
Best post yet
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I mean this in the most sincere way....EE you are really thinking to much when it comes to the littlest things on your stang. Its a muscle car, they are expected to have noises, creaks, ride nearly like **** and expected to have little things go wrong. If you want a more comfortable car, its probably not the right car for you. With that being said, you can make it ride much more comfortably, but it will have a performance tradeoff. Enjoy your car dude, and don't think to much about the little things! Drive it like you stole it and enjoy it like the rest of us do..each and every day.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
I mean this in the most sincere way....EE you are really thinking to much when it comes to the littlest things on your stang. Its a muscle car, they are expected to have noises, creaks, ride nearly like **** and expected to have little things go wrong. If you want a more comfortable car, its probably not the right car for you. With that being said, you can make it ride much more comfortably, but it will have a performance tradeoff. Enjoy your car dude, and don't think to much about the little things! Drive it like you stole it and enjoy it like the rest of us do..each and every day.
Well said, I tell people all the time that it's a 1/2-ton pickup with a flashy body...
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

LOL @ this thread...
Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT

lol

come to east coast and reap the benefits of 93
That's quite all right, there is a gas station that sells 107(?) it's about 8 bucks a gallon.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
schmallz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
Really? Must be those older 4.6 mtoros.

I have every single mile and fill up recorded in my car. My parents did it for the first five years and I continued the record keeping when I got my car in 2005. Taxe purposes.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by schmallz
Really? Must be those older 4.6 mtoros.

I have every single mile and fill up recorded in my car. My parents did it for the first five years and I continued the record keeping when I got my car in 2005. Taxe purposes.
My motor is newer than yours. 2004 gt engine with 34k miles.

Quick Reply: 93 octane when your car requires 87