4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Hate that this is why I'm posting again....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:03 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Default Hate that this is why I'm posting again....

Hey guys, need some help and advice. Just found out I have a crack in m intake manifold right near the thermostat. The guy who did the pressure test quote me some 700 for the replacing of the manifold and thermostat and a coolant flush.

Well I figured I'd just buy a manifold and thermostat, and install them myself. I'm thinking it makes sense to get a performance one - but I am not positive how much of a gain there will be and if it's worth it. I'm not looking for a gain on my motor as an NA really, since I am going to be putting a vortech on it (once I get all the components - already have head unit). Would it be a beneficial to get the performance intake knowing I am going to supercharge?

How hard is the install? Does anyone have the service manual portion on this? I've done some searching for this, as I know it happens a lot, but nothing really gave me the answers I wanted. So I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Thanks a ton.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Stick with the PI intake unless you plan on doing the bottom end and adding heads/cams and spinning it to 7500rpm
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Mine cracked 1k miles ago, cost me about $1000. Sucked so bad
Old 07-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

how does the intake manifold crack?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I just noticed in LRS's catalog a couple days ago that they have stock PI intakes for $189 (pn M9424P46) if you wanna just replace w/ stock. Other than what Lizzy said regarding the aftermarket ones, the only real advantage I see to upgrading is that it won't be plastic anymore.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:35 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

They're just plastic. The heating and cooling of the engine eventually wears it down. Oh and the piping hot coolant runs right in front of the manifold... Mine cracked around one of the bolts. I just pulled in for an oil change, and the mechanic found a couple quarts of coolant that had leaked out from the crack. Good timing
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I mean the reason why i upgraded was because i knew i would be throwing heads/cams/ boost at the car later on down the road. And i knew the plastic one wasn't gonna stand up to it.

So i upgraded to the Edelbrock EFI intake for the 2v. Its a great piece! Also i would look into the Trickflow Trackheat one (lil pricey but idk your price range).
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If youre planning on going with H/C/I for the future, Edelbrock all the way. If not, just get the Ford Racing aluminum replacement to keep it from bursting or the HPS HardballR intake manifold which isnt too much a performance upgrade but it would be a decent replacement.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

First off...that SUCKS.

Second, get THIS.

Lastly, here is some info....

I also attached a pdf of the install instructions.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the info, Probably sticking to the Ford Racing intake and hoping to order this week.

Hoping my thermostat isn't ruined as well, but I have heard I should just replace that while I'm at it... We'll see how this all goes!!

Quick Reply: Hate that this is why I'm posting again....