4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2011 GT

Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
Is it the dealership that test the vehicles or is it right after manufacturing?
The manufacturer drives the cars around a little pit just to make sure they run(It wouldnt surprise me if they just drove it straight on to a truck), I dont think they drive it more than a couple miles at most. all our new cars that we got had like 1-3 miles on em. most cars on the lot have about 15 miles on em from joy riders and sales ppl screwing around in em.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

When I bought my 2004 Dakota (right off the truck, still had plastic all over it) it already had 2.5 miles on it. There is no way to tell how those 2.5 miles are driven. They have a few miles on them before they ever get to a dealership. Unless you get a car right off the truck, it will most likely have a good 20-30 miles on it already. I'm willing to bet that most of the proud new owners of the 2011 mustangs aren't the first to bounce it off the limiter LOL.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i agree with you guys, that is one reason why if i was buying a bran new car, i would def order it and not buy one straight off a lot, especially with a car like this. People like me tend to not be very nice on em... haha.. oops

as for the shifter, i did not like it. dont get me wrong, it was smooth and for daily driving it would be a sweet set up. but if you wanted to slam some gears, i probably wouldnt with this shifter. it felt like i was going to break the shifter if i pulled to hard, it for some reason just didnt feel right for a car that Ford knows is going to be driven hard. I wish they woulda went with a "notchier" shifter and something that felt more solid. Im sure that is probably easily fixed with a nice short throw..
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
i agree with you guys, that is one reason why if i was buying a bran new car, i would def order it and not buy one straight off a lot, especially with a car like this. People like me tend to not be very nice on em... haha.. oops

as for the shifter, i did not like it. dont get me wrong, it was smooth and for daily driving it would be a sweet set up. but if you wanted to slam some gears, i probably wouldnt with this shifter. it felt like i was going to break the shifter if i pulled to hard, it for some reason just didnt feel right for a car that Ford knows is going to be driven hard. I wish they woulda went with a "notchier" shifter and something that felt more solid. Im sure that is probably easily fixed with a nice short throw..
Iv read quite a few posts on the shifter. I imagine ford just said screw it.. there gonna buy an aftermarket shifter anyways. lol
Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
Iv read quite a few posts on the shifter. I imagine ford just said screw it.. there gonna buy an aftermarket shifter anyways. lol
+1...these 5.0s aren't being bought to be used as beater cars lol
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

BTW, Evolution Performance ran a 10.97 N/A in their GT just so everyone knows. Personally I think that the 6 speed in these new stangs is dumb, especially with 5th gear being the 1:1 instead of 4th. The motor is BA but i dont like that tranny. Give me that motor in my car with a T56 and i'd be happy.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
speed88
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwQYX...eature=related
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^^^If I were that guy in the passenger seat I would have taken my fist and driven it through that @$$holes jaw. Then I would have gone back to the dealership and fired myself for being such a f'n idiot.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
I don't like how the 6 speed shifts. Can't really rip on it IMO. The autos are awesome though. I've got some video of supercharged/modded 5.0's running at the track.
Originally Posted by teej281
BTW, Evolution Performance ran a 10.97 N/A in their GT just so everyone knows. Personally I think that the 6 speed in these new stangs is dumb, especially with 5th gear being the 1:1 instead of 4th. The motor is BA but i dont like that tranny. Give me that motor in my car with a T56 and i'd be happy.
I completely agree. I test drove a mid level GT 6 speed on friday night...I hated the fugging shifter...HATED it. Unless I was being timid, it didnt like to go into 3rd....3 times I dropped to second, gave it 3/4 throttle and went to hit third and hit a brick wall. Wasn't even WOT...even the sales guy said, ya man your not the only one, all the guys here have had that issue when we took these out for our first drives...(sales guy was a kid lol)

Honestly, if the transmission was different....I think I would LOVE the car-in spite of it's ugly backside... Don't get me wrong, it had plenty of power, but I didn't enjoy driving it, and that-TO ME ANYWAY- is the MOST important part of owning a mustang, to enjoy driving it..

But that's OK, I got back in my mustang and tore through a few gears...I instantly felt better.

Last edited by devongarver; 08-02-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

If I were to buy that car I would already have longtubes/offroad X/borla catback/short throw shifter/tuner/lowering springs and gt500 wheels w/fatass meats....already sitting at my house waiting to be thrown on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 GT