4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How effective is PATS???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
darknight04
1st Gear Member

Default How effective is PATS???

I'm looking into alarm options for my 04GT and i need to know how effective against common car theves is the factory system. I have always had good luck with the viper system so its what im considering but if the factory system is up to it then Ill just leave it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

when you put an aftermarket alarm in there is some strange interference from PATS that causes the alarm to randomly go off, have an installer thats really good put it in. i used python, which is the same as viper, but they had to put like resistors in, something to do with the door locks and PATS, idk, the guy explained it to me and i didnt really understand what he was getting at, just if you do a 2 way alarm, be prepared to go back to the installer unless theyve done these stangs before. and to answer your question of the reliability of PATS, i went aftermarket, im sure PATS is fine, but security is never a bad idea IMO, i did it more for the shock sensor so i know if something happens while my car is parked outside my job
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

I've heard PATS is good. I never even lock my car. If they want it, they'll get in. I'd rather not have to replace the broken glass. I have nothing of value in my car, absolutely nothing. Still have the factory crap stereo system. I think PATS is effective enough to prevent theft of the vehicle.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
darknight04
1st Gear Member

Thanks shadow. I am pretty good with electronics but I think ill leave this one to the pros. Im looking into the dopler because its a convertible and I dont have a garage yet and I live in a college town so hopefully it will deter the local a$$ hats around here..
MJH, I totally feel ya but I want to protect my baby as much as possable. I have a rag top wrangler that ive put a viper alarm with dopler and I believe its paid off as several jeeps in my appt complex have either been stolen or broken into and mine has yet to be touched (knock on wood)..
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

its effective enough against a novice thief. there is always bigger and better systems tho. a very basic security system or anti theft measure is good enuff against most opportunist thieves or novice. professionals there is NOTHING you can do to prevent it. over on the r6 forum ive seen guys lose bikes that were locked in chocks bolted to the concrete in their garage while they were sleeping.

insurance is ALWAYS your best defence against a stolen vehicle.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 PM
darknight04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
its effective enough against a novice thief. there is always bigger and better systems tho. a very basic security system or anti theft measure is good enuff against most opportunist thieves or novice. professionals there is NOTHING you can do to prevent it. over on the r6 forum ive seen guys lose bikes that were locked in chocks bolted to the concrete in their garage while they were sleeping.

insurance is ALWAYS your best defence against a stolen vehicle.
Why would someone go so far as to break into a persons home for a bike? I just dont understand a persons need to steal but its life..
Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

PATS is very good, it has the highest ratings in the auto insurance industry--cars having it are eligible for the highest insurance discount there is, which should tell you something.

Each transponder has a unique code (randomly chosen from one of 72,000,000,000,000,000 possible codes)--so spoofing the code is unlikely.

The instrument panel electronics and the PCM are "married" at the factory by their sharing a 128-bit security ID--if one has to be changed they must be remarried using special programming tools.

There is also a built-in 10-minute delay before any re-programming of the system can be performed--during which time the programmer must remain connected.

This makes drive-away thefts VERY unlikely--and if you have a GT they made so many that pro-thieves are not interested in 'em...

Like other have said, I never lock mine, there's no point in it...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
darknight04
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the good info cliff, I hear your the man around there to trust..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

its **** man.

I had a guy put a screwdriver in my door and try to pop my lock out and my alarm didnt even think about going off. Im pretty sure if you get to the "unlock" button by breaking a window (or fishing with a coat hanger) and hit it (with the car locked) it will unlock and not go off.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
its **** man.

I had a guy put a screwdriver in my door and try to pop my lock out and my alarm didnt even think about going off. Im pretty sure if you get to the "unlock" button by breaking a window (or fishing with a coat hanger) and hit it (with the car locked) it will unlock and not go off.
there is no alarm with PATS, all it does is prevent the car from starting without the proper key.

Quick Reply: How effective is PATS???