4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Best Intake Manifold Upgrade?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Default Best Intake Manifold Upgrade?

Hey guys. So... I just ordered a ton of parts for my 99 GT.

I bought the Comp Cams Stage II Xtreme Energy XE270AH Camshafts, Comp Cams Valve Springs Kit, BBK Shorty Headers, Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Mustang Radiator, Mishimoto Dual High Flow 12in Fans w/ Lightweight Aluminum Shroud, 24lb. Ford Racing EV6 Style High Flow Fuel Injectors, Fidanza 2.1 Mustang Clutch, Steeda Adjustable Clutch Cable, Fidanza Billet Aluminum Flywheel, and Urethane Transmission and Motor Mounts. The heads are being ported and polished and the car is getting a dyno as soon as I'm done ordering parts and I've finally got it back together.

I was wondering what would be the best intake manifold to get. I want the best bang for the buck. I am leaning towards the Edelbrock Victor Jr. but my issue is the TB. I want to get the BBK 78mm Throttle Intake. I know I'm going to have to do some adaptations to get the TB I want on that intake manifold.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Warrior1876
2nd Gear Member

I am no expert but i was told on this site the victory jr was the way to go. I did buy it and bought the adapter from mmr racing so you can use any TB. I decided to go with the 6061.com racing elbow. If you want ill sell you my unused adapter for cheaper then they go for on mmr since i will not be using it.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
SALEEN_TIME
2nd Gear Member

Yea go with the edelbrock. I just picked that one up along with the matching fuel rails.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Given the combo I would use the factory PI intake to be honest. You will need a piston notch to fit those cams where they make the best power.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

My manifold is cracked. Damn those plastic hunks of junk!! lol
Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Given the combo I would use the factory PI intake to be honest. You will need a piston notch to fit those cams where they make the best power.
I am having the same shop that is porting and polishing my heads install the cams and valve springs for me. Probably the timing kit too... lol. I don't want to have to struggle with it.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
where do these cams make trhe best power?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

dont get the eddie intake unless you wanna spin your car to above 6500rpm...and you best have a forged rotating assembly to spin that high. Also, this has nothing to do with your post, but i was taking a look at the mods in your sig and you have 275 55 17 tires on the rear of your car and 255 50 17's on the front of your car...this is troubling seeing that you are running with a 28" tall tire on the rear and a 26.25" tire in the front. That is just not safe as it will throw your abs sensors off big time if there is more than an inch in tire diameter. And also you are making your car slower than it actually should be by increasing your tire height to that tall. Usually people only go to that size tire when they need to gear down because they are running too high numerically of gears. The way youre running around now, its like you have stock sized tires with stock rear gears. So changing your tires would help your car seem that much quicker too. Just something to think about.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
erikka.paige
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
dont get the eddie intake unless you wanna spin your car to above 6500rpm...and you best have a forged rotating assembly to spin that high. Also, this has nothing to do with your post, but i was taking a look at the mods in your sig and you have 275 55 17 tires on the rear of your car and 255 50 17's on the front of your car...this is troubling seeing that you are running with a 28" tall tire on the rear and a 26.25" tire in the front. That is just not safe as it will throw your abs sensors off big time if there is more than an inch in tire diameter. And also you are making your car slower than it actually should be by increasing your tire height to that tall. Usually people only go to that size tire when they need to gear down because they are running too high numerically of gears. The way youre running around now, its like you have stock sized tires with stock rear gears. So changing your tires would help your car seem that much quicker too. Just something to think about.
I was actually already aware of the ABS sensor issue you are talking about. But it was a risk I was willing to take, and I'm glad I did. This is my 3rd set of these tires on the rear and I have yet to have any issues with it. The 255/50/17 I have on the front USED to be the size I ran on the rear. I think the big tires on the car LOOK amazing. They are cheap ($300 for the set), they handle well, and they hold the road well.

When I bought the car used it had 4:10 gears with the smaller tires. I was never really a fan. I could LAUNCH in 2nd. I could skip gears easily. I was "cruising" in 4th gear at 35mph. Freeway driving was unpleasant. I wasn't able to get the spedo recalibrated because of how far it was off. I got the bigger tires and it helped a lot. When I rebuilt my rear end I got the 3:73 gears and I KNEW that was gonna make it so the car was sitting close to what it would be with stock gears and stock sized tires.

While all the points you made are valid, they are all things I was aware of and took into consideration when making decisions. I think it is all about personal preference. My personal preference is for my Mustang to look more like an old school muscle car. With tall fatty tires on the rear. I LOVE that rake.

But thanks for the heads up. If it wasn't something I was already aware of, it would be something I would want to know.

Last edited by erikka.paige; 08-05-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by erikka.paige
where do these cams make trhe best power?

Get the intake centerline in at 109-110. That is how Comp originally designed them, then everyone started bending valves so they retarded them back to 113 or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Intake Manifold Upgrade?