4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

clutch pedel vibrating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
mustangruss

Default clutch pedel vibrating?

I was driving my car today and the clutch pedel started vibrating when im driving and making a noise when the clutch is out but when i push it in the noise goes away. Any ideas what this is throw out barring maybe. Do these cars have hydrolic clutches or do they use a cable. Maybe it could be a clutch cable. Let me know thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

From what you're describing, yeah, sounds like throwout bearing on it's way out. When mine first started going bad, it (the bearing) made a light squealing noise (which got really loud at the end) that typically went away when the pedal was pushed down. Pedal feel also became a little ratchety. The last day I drove my car before giving it a vacation while I rounded up parts, the bearing started screaming like a pterodactyl, accompanied by the pedal kinda bouncing around (I recall letting the pedal up and it smacking the bottom of my foot a few times). And these cars have cable actuated clutches, to answer your second one. Good luck with that and welcome to the forums.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

I'm experiencing the exact thing. In my case the throwout bearing is going out and the vibration of my clutch ensued. Since I have a 100k miles I'm replacing both my clutch and throwout bearing. I may just get a new flywheel while I'm at it. How many miles are on your car?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
mustangruss

Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Replace your clutch while your at it?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
mustangruss

yea im just going to get the kit do it all one shot
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Anyone care to estimate for me how much it would be to replace the throwout bearing at a shop? Just curious cuz my clutch has been vibrating lately too... Makes me nervous
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

well, there is two things it can be.....it can be your clutch pedal actually vibrating on the stop which happens or it could be the TOB. If the nois goes away when you simply touch the pedal with your foot then it might just be the pedal. If you actually have to push the pedal in a little bit to get the noise to stop, it is most likely the TOB. You can also try to have your clutch adjusted to see if that helps before just paying someone to replace the bearing. If it ends up needing a new TOB, then definitely change out the clutch and pilot bearing while you are in there since the car has 130k on it. When my TOB went out for the 3rd time, i said f it and took it to a shop which charged me $300 to replace it
Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
When my TOB went out for the 3rd time, i said f it and took it to a shop which charged me $300 to replace it
.....Which is about the same as labor for doing a clutch install.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

yeah, cause it is almost exactly the same amount of work LOL

Quick Reply: clutch pedel vibrating?