4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sorry for no pic of the day but other good news

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
yeah, why wouldn't you use new TFS heads? They flow better than ported heads as cast, plus warranty, I'm not seeing a downside
With TFS heads, cams and bullitt intake his shift point will be way to high for the stock longblock. That's the downside.

1SLO85...what do you have planned for this build to make your said goal?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:44 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
With TFS heads, cams and bullitt intake his shift point will be way to high for the stock longblock. That's the downside.

1SLO85...what do you have planned for this build to make your said goal?
The stock bottom end concerns me. His goal was 350-375rwhp and I told him there was NO WAY to get those numbers with the stock bottom end. I honestly see in the 300-maybe 320rwhp range.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:54 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

320 easy...sell me the bullitt and i'll give you my plastic with stock plenum and tb and then you can run the tfs heads and have legit shift points for the stock bottom end!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:04 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

http://www.modularheadshop.com/Artic...2V%20combo.htm

Very duable and will get you around the 300rwhp range. I think Nick's Stage 1 head and cam combo with the stock intake would be your best bet to keep it safe and still have good power.

Last edited by WannaBeGearHead; 08-12-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I think a lot of people under estimate the difficulty with this build. First the stock shortblock means he's not going with an NPI like the MHS article suggested for higher compression. The big thing is the word streetability. Depending on just how street friendly the owner wants this car really puts a damper on cam choice, you just can't throw a stage 3 in there and call it a day.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
I think a lot of people under estimate the difficulty with this build. First the stock shortblock means he's not going with an NPI like the MHS article suggested for higher compression. The big thing is the word streetability. Depending on just how street friendly the owner wants this car really puts a damper on cam choice, you just can't throw a stage 3 in there and call it a day.
A lot of people underestimate it cause most haven't done it. A solid 325rwhp N/A is not an "easy" build with these 2vs especially streetable on the stock bottom end. To make anything above 310rwhp requires a pretty mean cam. Maybe the TFS heads will bring enough to the table to only require a mild cam and still be in arms distance of the 320-330 goal.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
A lot of people underestimate it cause most haven't done it. A solid 325rwhp N/A is not an "easy" build with these 2vs especially streetable on the stock bottom end. To make anything above 310rwhp requires a pretty mean cam. Maybe the TFS heads will bring enough to the table to only require a mild cam and still be in arms distance of the 320-330 goal.
With the trickflow heads its VERY easy.I havnt seen a cars result YET hit under 320 with trickflow heads and stage 2 cams.. With h/c/i this guy is gonna be hitting good numbers for sure.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:26 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

As Nick says when the TFS heads come into topic you will need to spin the motor pretty high to make them worth the extra money. TFS heads, eddie intake, 6061 intake and whatever cams are going to be making power at very high rpms and the stock block isn't going to like it nor hold up long.

I would like to hear what Nick has to say about this build. With the stock block and compression I see this build making around 300rwhp with heads and cams with the stock intake.

This is an interesting build as I would like to see what the OP does and what numbers they make as I would like to do a H/C build myself.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
With the trickflow heads its VERY easy.I havnt seen a cars result YET hit under 320 with trickflow heads and stage 2 cams.. With h/c/i this guy is gonna be hitting good numbers for sure.
It will be cool to see more of these builds in the future when people stop crying about the price of the heads. It's kind of funny how people have been whining for years for a good aftermarket head for the 2v, and then when it is finally delivered, they just bitch about the price tag when they clearly outperform even the best ported PI heads right out of the box.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
As Nick says when the TFS heads come into topic you will need to spin the motor pretty high to make them worth the extra money. TFS heads, eddie intake, 6061 intake and whatever cams are going to be making power at very high rpms and the stock block isn't going to like it nor hold up long.

I would like to hear what Nick has to say about this build. With the stock block and compression I see this build making around 300rwhp with heads and cams with the stock intake.

This is an interesting build as I would like to see what the OP does and what numbers they make as I would like to do a H/C build myself.
Yes, and when you're shooting for these higher RPM's, you're choosing a more aggressive cam profile to work well in that higher range, and taking a bite out of your low end driveability.

Quick Reply: Sorry for no pic of the day but other good news