4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Off set rack bushings

Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM
silverbullit02
3rd Gear Member

What about x2 baljoints on my car? I have the eibach pro kit. I don't need ball joints now but will in the future, or should I just get OEM balljoints.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They are a "sort of kludge", Steeda also recommends that you use the bumpsteer kit with them (and you already know my opinion of that)--so by the time you get the X2 joints and the bumpsteer kit you are within less than $200 of buying drop spindles and doing it correctly...
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

I was at corner carvers forum and it seemed the jury was still out on these drop spindles. I will go back and ask about them. If they turn out to be good quality and properly engineered, then yes they would be the best way to drop the front end.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

From what I just found it seems Racecraft worked out any fatigue and or weld issues, some racers gave them good reviews, so I would say these would be the best way to drop the front end.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The big advantage to the drop spindles is that they let you retain the stock range of motion in the front end--this counts for a whole lot in road-racing.

By the time you drop our cars 2" or more via springs (or coil-overs) you've pretty much killed off "spirited" cornering on any rough road because the suspension travel (compliance) needed to keep the tires in contact with the road just isn't there.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

If you do buy offset rack bushings, I would only get the aluminum ones and then I would make sure you pin them so they don't rotate around on you... which would obviously only exaggerate your previous issue.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

One thing I didn't touch upon, an issue that bugs me as an engineer, is that Steeda's offset bushings are made of aluminum. It is 110%+ poor engineering to make a bushing of the same material as the thing being "bushed"--the steering rack in this instance.

Bushings and that being bushed should always be made from dissimilar materials to avoid galling and fretting corrosion. Because in this application the aluminum "bushings" become spacers once the pinch bolt is torqued this is not a huge issue (use plenty of Never-Seize), as there is no intended motion between the components.

Bugs me when I see it nonetheless...

There are a number of vendors offering polyurethane offset bushings. The thin wall on the narrow side of the offset bore bothers me--polyurethane doesn't do well with unequal cross sections and loads. Also, when properly machined from high-performance roughs polyurethane can work as intended, however made from low-grade castings it sucks big time.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
One thing I didn't touch upon, an issue that bugs me as an engineer, is that Steeda's offset bushings are made of aluminum. It is 110%+ poor engineering to make a bushing of the same material as the thing being "bushed"--the steering rack in this instance.

Bushings and that being bushed should always be made from dissimilar materials to avoid galling and fretting corrosion. Because in this application the aluminum "bushings" become spacers once the pinch bolt is torqued this is not a huge issue (use plenty of Never-Seize), as there is no intended motion between the components.

Bugs me when I see it nonetheless...

There are a number of vendors offering polyurethane offset bushings. The thin wall on the narrow side of the offset bore bothers me--polyurethane doesn't do well with unequal cross sections and loads. Also, when properly machined from high-performance roughs polyurethane can work as intended, however made from low-grade castings it sucks big time.
Man you always poop in my cheerios....

So it really sounds like nothing is worth using at this point in the offset rack bushing department. Because behind the material issues, I've heard from multiple sources that the poly bushings just rotate around and it sounds like the aluminum bushings are a bad choices as well.

Moral of the story... no offset rack bushings for you.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Man you always poop in my cheerios....

So it really sounds like nothing is worth using at this point in the offset rack bushing department. Because behind the material issues, I've heard from multiple sources that the poly bushings just rotate around and it sounds like the aluminum bushings are a bad choices as well.

Moral of the story... no offset rack bushings for you.
I didn't say that exactly--if I were going to use offset bushings I would go with the aluminum ones and just make sure they were installed with a good dose of Never-Seize and that the pinch bolts were torqued up to spec (56lbft).

They do become just locators/spacers when torqued in. Pinning them would hurt, however they shouldn't go anywhere with the bolts torqued to spec...
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I didn't say that exactly--if I were going to use offset bushings I would go with the aluminum ones and just make sure they were installed with a good dose of Never-Seize and that the pinch bolts were torqued up to spec (56lbft).

They do become just locators/spacers when torqued in. Pinning them would hurt, however they shouldn't go anywhere with the bolts torqued to spec...
I just re-read what I wrote and realized it could have been interrupted wrong..I hope you know I was just givin' ya a little ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off set rack bushings