4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Off set rack bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:20 PM
silverbullit02
3rd Gear Member

Default Off set rack bushings

Are these worth getting? The car is lowered and it drives fine I was just curious.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

i dont know for sure but i heard that i wouldnt be a bad thing to do when ur car is lowered...i noticed when i dropped my rack and pinion that they were already installed on my car
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you are really slammed down into the ground, 2"+++, the offset bushings are the last stand in curing bump steer (BS).

If the car handles well and there's no BS (funny how that worked out) then you don't need the offset bushings...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
silverbullit02
3rd Gear Member

I have a bumpsteer kit on my car now. What exactly is bumpsteer?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Obsidian71
2nd Gear Member

When you hit a bump and your car steers itself (wheel jerks) because the steering/suspension geometry is off from lowering the car.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dohcramair71
When you hit a bump and your car steers itself (wheel jerks) because the steering/suspension geometry is off from lowering the car.
My car does that at stock height. I will be buying a bumpsteer kit and offset bushings when I finally get around to lowering it.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Wouldn't offset rack bushing be unecessary with a bump steer kit?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

This is a very well written and factual look at the suspension system on our cars.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Wouldn't offset rack bushing be unecessary with a bump steer kit?
I am not sure, but I am sure someone here does. I am figuring I will need both as I need to fix the bumpsteer that is already happening at stock height.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The small amount of bumpsteer in the OEM suspension setup is an inescapable artifact of the McPherson strut design.

It will naturally lessen when you lower the car and the range of suspension travel is reduced, however at a point, around 1.2" drop it will increase again as the car is lowered further. The bumpsteer kit will fix this to some extent however the real culprit is once again the McPherson strut design.

The offset bushings can raise the steering rack by 0/25" or 0.40" (Steeda offers two offsets) and are best suited to when the car has been lowered to the point that the bumpsteer kit's correction range has been exceeded.

Also, and as stated on Steeda's site, they are beneficial if the number of spacers used with the bumpsteer kit is excessive. The offset bushings will allow fewer spacers to be used and place less strain on the bumpsteer stud, and therefore result in less deflection of the BS kit's replacement stud.

However I have to say that IMHO all the bumpsteer kits start out as questionable jury-rigged fixes anyway. Here are some samples:

Steeda's

FRPP's

UPR's

You can see that the nice forged steel sealed factory tie-rod end is replaced with a wide-open spherical bearing¹ having a lengthened stud. UPR's is particularly obscene with it's use of off-the-shelf bolts as the "studs"

To do it right get drop spindles and forget the jury-rigs.

--------------------------------------------
¹ - Wide-open as in NO protection from dirt, water, and other nasties; and having nothing to contain any lubricant.

Quick Reply: Off set rack bushings