4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

This Clutch is a B*tch...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Can I get by with just replacing the bearings for now if the clutch/flywheel are solid?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You would...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Can I get by with just replacing the bearings for now if the clutch/flywheel are solid?
I think the noise your hearing is just the TOB. You can get to the TOB without taking off the clutch or pressure plate which then you wouldn't have to resurface the flywheel. If you replace the pilot bearing you will have to take off the clutch and pressure plate and a flywheel resurface would be in order.

If the clutch and pressure plate are fine then no you don't have to replace the clutch.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
You would...
Its either that or no AM car show for the Purp....

And Wannabe - Thanks so much for your help man, really appreciate it.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by 1SLO85
Centerforce
Can't be beat^
Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I think the noise your hearing is just the TOB. You can get to the TOB without taking off the clutch or pressure plate which then you wouldn't have to resurface the flywheel. If you replace the pilot bearing you will have to take off the clutch and pressure plate and a flywheel resurface would be in order.

If the clutch and pressure plate are fine then no you don't have to replace the clutch.
+1, I would just put a TOB in it and see what ya got.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

hey guys -

So over the course of the past week (approx ~800 miles), the clutch sound has gone away. This morning I go to start my car, it starts hissing again. So I'm driving like a grandma on the highway this morning on my daily hell of a commute, and all of the sudden I go to switch gears, and I lost pressure in my clutch pedal. The clutch pedal length from top to bottom (depressing the clutch) literally is 1/4 what it was yesterday, and its nearly impossible to switch gears. I kept it in 5th gear until I got to the exit where I get off for work, and it was screetching like absolute HELL. It didn't matter whether the clutch was depressed or if I left it in neutral at a stoplight. It literally sounds like two giant pieces of metal scraping against each other. Is it this son of a bitch possessed throwout bearing of mine? Would it cause the clutch pedal to adjust and lose some of its compression and then on the next shift gain a sh*tload of compression but only at the very bottom? This is a goddamn nightmare. Please help! I'm taking a half day at work so I can ***ATTEMPT*** to drive it to my buddies garage and get the bitch up on the lift.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

WTF. Ummm...time to buy a new everything. Might as well order it all, you are going to need it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

seriously? but the weird part....is that the clutch wasn't slipping...not one bit.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
seriously? but the weird part....is that the clutch wasn't slipping...not one bit.
OK well heres the thing. TOB is gone. Who knows about the integrity of everything else involved -BECAUSE of the TOB failing. Likely, your clutch COULD be just fine. Wont know till you open it up, but why waste all the time removing the tranny one time, only to do it again when you put a new clutch in?

Quick Reply: This Clutch is a B*tch...