4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Would you trade your New Edge in on a 11 6er?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

I keep hearing people say that, but all the ones people I've known owned were great cars. Here's to my luck not running out the day I go looking for one for myself!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spilotro
I keep hearing people say that, but all the ones people I've known owned were great cars. Here's to my luck not running out the day I go looking for one for myself!
cheers to your luck! lol

back in the day my friends parents had their BMW in the shop at least once every 3 or so months. how annoying would that be? not to even mention the expense...

in high school i had a few friends with 3 series and one neighbor with a 5 and another with a 7 series. the 3 series all had little things that would like to stop working. the 5 series was beginning to be the same way after he had it for a couple years. couldn't tell you about the 7 series though because that guy was mr. moneybags and it was always imaculate. i don't think he would've ever confessed any problems it had to me.

i recently met a guy down here in columbia with an 03 M3. he said he has to throw at least a G at it every year in maintanence (he might be exaggerating, im really not sure. he's still a new face).

don't let this post confuse you on my feelings about BMW though. i LOVE their styling and will probably just suck it up on the maintenance and buy one for a DD anyway. besides mustangs, BMWs are some of the sexiest cars around IMO.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Man Bimmers are nice but they are exspensive. My wife's 06 530I clutch went out. Found out it was a wear and tear item and not under warranty. I had to replace that and the fly wheel. Total cost: 3800 bucks. I was pissed!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Man Bimmers are nice but they are exspensive. My wife's 06 530I clutch went out. Found out it was a wear and tear item and not under warranty. I had to replace that and the fly wheel. Total cost: 3800 bucks. I was pissed!!!!!!!

My boss' 745 that he coined his "dream car" is in the shop quite a bit more often than the stang . In fact mine hasn't had anything break since I bought it, I did lose a caliper after changing the pads and rotors but I think its easily caused in that process. Other than things I dont have the machinery for I do all the tinkering so I know its done right. Yea.....tinkering.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I can't believe I just read this entire thread...laughing all the way through it...

I think something that the people who like the new sixxers are forgetting, is the fact that the hp rating given is only peak numbers. What kind of power does it make at 2500 rpms?? Can you slowly roll into the throttle in first and kick the ***-end sideways before 3k rpms? The bottom end torque is just non existent in a V6, that's just how it goes. I had a 4.0 V6 in my ranger, with an eaton supercharger on it, and it made more power than my mustang does right now. Infact it was capable of the same 1/4 mile times....yet it still wasn't even comparable on the bottom end. It didn't START to make power until 3k...but it pulled like hell after that. I am not against V6's in general, just in a mustang. They are two totally different types of machinery, and to think someone who likes a V8 Mustang is going to like a V6 Mustang just doesn't make any damned sense to me.

Of course if you even begin to throw the cost factor in there at all....it is plain stupid to buy a new sixxer if your new edge is paid off. Let's say you drive 16,000 miles/year.
At 2.95$/gallon and 18mpg, a five year fuel cost of 13k$. 5 year fuel cost with the sixxer would be 7.6k$. Savings of 5.4k$ over 5 years. Cost of new mustang=25k ish-5.4k fuel savings= total cost of 20k ish. So, now fuel costs are equalized, and you have 13k$ to invest in your 7k$ newedge...hmmmm do ya think it could possibly "catch up" to the sixxer for 13k$????? I think it just might...

For all of you who want to buy or have bought a 6 cyl mustang....thank you for saving the V8's for the rest of us.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^very well said DG...