4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Wheel Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:17 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I think you should fix that nasty wheel offset first...i cant believe the tire isn't touching the back of your fender, something is definitely wrong there...
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I can't even go with the cheapy 1/4" spacer up front thatvI posted jazzer? Anything would be better than what I have now. If I don't like it up front I cant use it out back? Idk the offset of my wheels and I can't link you to AM to the 17x8 black bullitts bc I am on my itouch but that is what I have. I should have gotten 9" wheels

Devon -- I'm not going to fix my wheel alignment in the fender bc it's a very expensive fix for something so nominal that won't really do me much

Edit: front fenders aren't rolled, but they come semi rolled from the factory. Why, you think i will hit?

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 08-27-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't know if you can run a 1/4 safely, but would guess not by my standards

Keep in mind, a 9" wheel will generally give you approx. 50% of width in both directions, but pretty much max you going outward in terms of clearance to fender. Your fenders are not rolled at all from the factory, unlike the S197's that are completely rolled OEM. I have not only rolled all of my fenders, but actually used tin-snips to cut all but 1/4" of fender off of the underside, so I have almost nothing on the under side of fender.

I am with Devon here and think you should address the centering of your wheels and think this would go a long way to making you happier with your appearance.

Jazzer
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I don't know how much searching you did, but this is the thread I made a while ago:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-quandary.html

It turned out that to get any spacer worth putting on I would need longer studs. I wasn't up for getting them then installing them so it's on hold for now.

What wheel/tire do you have up front? My AM 17X9 17X10.5 were great and flush with the fender. Hell even my stock starfish wheels with 245's all around are flush in the front...the rear not so much lol.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Good info guys... It seems that MM's site says that you can use a 1/4" spacer without the use of longer studs, BUT longer studs MAY be required.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=574

They require 6 full turns of the lug on the stud, not tireracks 8 like i read in the link smitty posted.

Yet on AM's site for the spacers for $15, it says nothing about needing longer studs...

I know mr sinister is running 1/4" on the back of his 10.5's and they are pretty damn near the fender. Whether or not he is running longer studs, i have no idea.

So jazzer - Going from an 8" wheel to a 9" would basically increase the diameter by 1/2" closer to the outside of the fender and 1/2" closer to the swaybar/engine area?

So if i want my fronts flush, i would need another 1/2"?

Just wondering. I'm not going to put a 1/2" spacer up front. But i am considering buying the $15 1/4" spacers from AM and just checking them out to see how many full turns i can get and to see how it looks. After the discount, i would have only wasted $14 if they dont work out...

Worth a shot or still a bad idea?

I dont understand why it would be WORSE to run the spacers up front compared to out back. Is there any explanation to that?

I seriously should have just dropped the extra loot and got the 9" wheel. What a PITA this is now. If i want it done right i need a 9" wheel with 275's and then i have to paint the 9" wheels all black. I don't ahve that dough bc i didn't do it right the first time!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Guys, the wheel being far back in the wheel well is nothing unusual. That's how our cars are stock. I mean how else do you think MM has an inch and a half of room to make the wheel base longer? It's perfectly fine HP. Don't worry about that. Moments the same way and always has been.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

A simple way to test this is to jack up the car under the front lower control arm to keep the sping compressed, but only high enough for the wheel to barely come off the ground. take all the lug nuts off and put them back on 6-8 turn and however much space you have left...pull the wheel out as it trying to take it off. This will show you how much of a spacer you can run on a stock stud.

I say only barely high enough off the ground so you can step back and look at the fender/tire relationship at a reasonably normal stance.

I did on the rears of mine with stock wheels and when I put the nuts back on 6-8 turns...it was so close that the spacer would have been less than 1/4". Wasnt worth it to buy/make a spacer less than 1/4" when what I want is roughly 3/4" spacer for the look I want.

If I remember, 6-8 turns of the nut was very close if not equal to the length of the nut itself. In other words by the time your 6th turn on the stud...you have got the stud end flush with the end of the nut. Leaving less than 1/4" worth of a spacer.

Last edited by smitty2919; 08-27-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks smitty - Good sh*t. I guess 1/4" really wouldn't do much for me anyway. Shoulda gotten those 9's...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Yea you think "Oh a 1/4" will be fine" Then you realize that you won't be happy with anything less than 1" ahaha
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think The Smittster stole much of that info from my Choosing a new tire thread

In truth, the studs are 20 threads per inch, so 6 turns would be approx. 3/8" and not the minimum standard of 1/2", IMHO. I think you are better off to install longer studs or get wheels that are wider to fit the look you like. Possibly skimping on stud-length can be risky business.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers?