4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ebay Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Default Ebay Control Arms

Well I was just randomly looking through ebay for random mustang parts trying to find a deal. And I came up with these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...item439a67a9ea

I was wondering what you guys thought of them. There half the price of J&M Upper and Lower control arms even with shipping. They look exactly the same. I was wondering what your guys opinions are of them? Think they would be worth while or should I steer clear of them?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I would pass.. they look VERY cheaply made. They dont even look GMS quality. lol
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They appear to be of average quality for that style of aftermarket arms; as to the integrity of the materials and welds, etc. only time would tell--except that the solid polyurethane bushings will at first bind up the suspension, then creak and groan, and eventually crack and fall out.

This is a good read re: the rear suspension on our cars.

Also, I do not feel that suspension parts are a place to be cutting corners (no pun intended). When you buy the cheapest there is, there is a very good chance you will get the cheapest there is...
Old 08-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
They appear to be of average quality for that style of aftermarket arms; as to the integrity of the materials and welds, etc. only time would tell--except that the solid polyurethane bushings will at first bind up the suspension, then creak and groan, and eventually crack and fall out.

Also, I do not feel that suspension parts are a place to be cutting corners (no pun intended). When you buy the cheapest there is, there is a very good chance you will get the cheapest there is...

+1...
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you really want solid poly control arms and can wait a few months I'll be taking my late model resto ones of to swap in MM xd lower and a torque arm setup, so u can have em for 50$ plus ship. They have maybe 500 miles on them.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Please do not EVER install such an arm on your ride!

100% reguardless of their strength, they are an absolute garbage design and will DEGRADE cornering and have potential to damage your ride due to poly bushings at all four corners.

Like The Savant said... don't go cheap on suspension parts, but MORE importantly.... don't go with a lousy design. Hit up the suspension guide (sig) for what is wrong with them and an example of what can happen.

Jazzer
Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

One word SH%T!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

I get all excited when cliffy pulls this one out, its so true. My mother has a bad habit of buying really cheap **** for things you shouldn't cheap out on. And then she wonders why it doesn't do its job with stunning accuracy or that it breaks in 2 weeks.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Ya, I dont really want to skimp on suspension. I should have about $700 in the next month that I plan on putting towards suspension. I thought that it would be pretty important to upgrade the suspension after supercharging the car so I can actually get that power to the ground. I already have lowering springs. What else would you guys suggest?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

subframe connectors get my vote..

Quick Reply: Ebay Control Arms