4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

next mods opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
aviator97

Default next mods opinions

I've got a 96 gt with 99 corbra pistons, comp 274 cams, pypes off road x pipe, and complete pi conversion with mild port job (had to get a custom tune to stop detonation due to 11.7ish to 1 comp).

Come tax return time I'll have 2,000 dollars to finish the job. I was thinking long tube headers (super comps), cat backs (possibly SSS?), throttle body (BBK 78mm one piece) and a K member.

I plan on buying everything I can used (kind of been a theme with this car so far) in order to keep the cost down. This means what I end up with will depend on what I can find.

This car is used on the street, driven about 2-3 times a week. I want to get the most out of my money, do you thing I'm going in the right direction? Would you guys recommend different parts?

Any comments or suggestions welcome thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Get some 4.10s, long tubes, x pipe and catback and maybe some spray. High compression is great with spray. All that will make your car a hell of a lot faster for the 2000.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
aviator97

Thanks for the reply 98redstang. I see you are using the same cams as I am. I installed them at 106 degree's (due to advice from MHS) and man does this thing scream. It's a whole different car. Before the "safety" tune (temp tune until all the parts are on the car and I get the full dino tune) It would start screaming at 2500 rpm (due to being on the verg of detonation) and keep screaming all the way to the rev limiter until it got up to temp then it would go into detonation. The tune gave it an idle (it would not idle for anything) and moved the powerband up to about 3200 rpm. And man does that 274 cam sound nice at idle.

I think you are right about the 4.10 gears, with this cam the car doesn't want to go into 5th gear until 65-70 mph. The car has the optional rear end from the factory, I think it is a 3.50 gear or so. Anyway thanks again.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

aviator... what have you done in terms of suspension mods to support all your power?

Jazzer

.... wut, my pepe.... y'all knew I was gonna pop in and ask this question
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
aviator97

Hey Jazzer it is the stock original 113,000 mile suspension!!! and yes it sucks. I've been reading your suspension section and found it to be quite educational. The rear axle is all over the place, I have felt the inside tire lift several times during braking and hard corners. Right now I wont to finish the front end. Looking for a k-member and A arm with coil over set up on the cheap. Any suggestions? I want the car to handle but I'm not exactly going to go auto-crossing either. Something cheap but effective would be ideal. I am going to be hitting the classifieds sometime around February looking for all the used parts I can find. Latter in the year (if funds become available) I will start on the rear end and frame connectors.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aviator97
Thanks for the reply 98redstang. I see you are using the same cams as I am. I installed them at 106 degree's (due to advice from MHS) and man does this thing scream. It's a whole different car. Before the "safety" tune (temp tune until all the parts are on the car and I get the full dino tune) It would start screaming at 2500 rpm (due to being on the verg of detonation) and keep screaming all the way to the rev limiter until it got up to temp then it would go into detonation. The tune gave it an idle (it would not idle for anything) and moved the powerband up to about 3200 rpm. And man does that 274 cam sound nice at idle.

I think you are right about the 4.10 gears, with this cam the car doesn't want to go into 5th gear until 65-70 mph. The car has the optional rear end from the factory, I think it is a 3.50 gear or so. Anyway thanks again.
Yeah i love the sound its ridiculous. My powerband hits at around 3200 too but i can rev to 7k with my block i wouldnt do it with the sh!tty manifold but it has the potential too. My idle sucked as well before i got it dynoed. If you dont have gears yet though def go with 4.10s. As for your other mods it depends on what you want it for. If you dont wanna go to crazy with nitrious than go with the k member some sfcs and lcas in addition to the gears. Itll feel like a totally different car trust me.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Get yourself a GOOD set of lower control arms, panhard bar, and then tubular k-member from MM with matching coilovers and you'll be set. Putting power to the ground is more important than making the power itself IMHO...jazzer will be inclined to agree with me.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM
aviator97

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll start searching the classifieds. I'll post my dyno results but that wont be until about Feb or March.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I would absolutely add a set of long tube headers to take advantage of your other mods.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I would absolutely add a set of long tube headers to take advantage of your other mods.
+1 especially since he wants to install a tubular k-member anyway. do the longtube install and then instead of putting the stock k back up. bolt up the new one.

Quick Reply: next mods opinions