4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: which would you pick?
Non intercooled Kenne Bell
28.57%
Non intercooled Centrifugal
28.57%
Cheap turbo kit
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

which FI option would you choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
You ever seen the IATs on a motor with a supercharger and no intercooler? Do you know what the computer does when IATs get this high? They go ohhhh helllll no I will pull this car over.

BTW Apparently factory terminators are weak. Really retarded and general statement to say a supercharged v8 is weak. I'm almost afraid of what kind of dumb *** justification one may have for this statement.

I didnt vote, id stay stock instead of the three options available....with the worst option being a "cheap turbo kit." Anybody who knows better or has tried a "cheap turbo kit" knows it doesn't turn out cheap.

It costs to be the boss.....
Yeah I was kinda worried about the tunning costs of the turbo kit. I have also heard they can be kinda troublesome.

I spoke to the guys at kb (I know they are trying to sell me their kit) but they seemed very knowledgable and the kits seem very well engineered. They recommend not dynoing and just running their chip for optimum reliability and driveabilty. Surely the reason that the IC kit is 9 psi and the non IC is 6 psi is to not get the air too hot for the non intercooled kit?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigtom
Yeah I was kinda worried about the tunning costs of the turbo kit. I have also heard they can be kinda troublesome.

I spoke to the guys at kb (I know they are trying to sell me their kit) but they seemed very knowledgable and the kits seem very well engineered. They recommend not dynoing and just running their chip for optimum reliability and driveabilty. Surely the reason that the IC kit is 9 psi and the non IC is 6 psi is to not get the air too hot for the non intercooled kit?
There you go! Thats something that sadly a lot of newcomers just don't realize.

I love KB and i'm about to install one next weekend but in the end their tune is not as reliable as a dyno tune. Though they have in fact done a HUUUGE amount of testing(something I respect as a customer) they are never going to know how your car individually runs 5-10 years after being manufactured. A dyno tuner does because he has live sensors hooked up to your car and hes monitoring those values and tuning based on them on the spot. I could get into details but thats the basics. The KB tune is "reliable" but often has a rich AFR and is very generic which doesn't come close to maximizing your capability and drivability.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

my answer is neither.

I wouldn't run any non-Ic. You cant even use it. its pointless
Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
There you go! Thats something that sadly a lot of newcomers just don't realize.

I love KB and i'm about to install one next weekend but in the end their tune is not as reliable as a dyno tune. Though they have in fact done a HUUUGE amount of testing(something I respect as a customer) they are never going to know how your car individually runs 5-10 years after being manufactured. A dyno tuner does because he has live sensors hooked up to your car and hes monitoring those values and tuning based on them on the spot. I could get into details but thats the basics. The KB tune is "reliable" but often has a rich AFR and is very generic which doesn't come close to maximizing your capability and drivability.
So I am thinking (and kinda hoping!) that you are saying that I could run a kb non ic kit as long as I only run 6 psi? And that I can run their chip until I save up and get time to have the car dynoed for an optimised tune?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
my answer is neither.

I wouldn't run any non-Ic. You cant even use it. its pointless
I was typing whilst u posted this!

So the air will be too hot even at only 6psi ?

Then other thing that kinda worries me with kb kits is that they "highly recommend" their big air kit! Can/should it be run without it cos the intercooler option is $1100 and the big air kit is $800 I think! So its all adding up quick!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03BottleFedGT
none of the above. 100 wet kit
Just wanted to know your logic of thinking. The guy has the money and can afford a S/C. Why would you reccommend him going with nitrous??

OP I voted for the Vortech but intercooled. I pieced together mine for 2100 bucks including intercooler. It can be done just takes time..
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

OP I voted for the Vortech but intercooled. I pieced together mine for 2100 bucks including intercooler. It can be done just takes time..[/QUOTE]

I read thru the supercharger for $1500 stickie and have occasionally looked for vortechs on ebay but I think that due to that post the prices have rocketed for used head units!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

of course thats what KB wants you to do cuz thats more money for them. dyno tune > canned tune any day of the week. KB is starting to **** me off with alot of the info they are throwing around lately.

and their chip is not whats best for optimum reliability and drivability, a dyno tune is assuming your tuner knows whats what.

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 09-09-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

non-cheap turbo

it should be a law that you go i/c with f/i
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

OP I voted for the Vortech but intercooled. I pieced together mine for 2100 bucks including intercooler. It can be done just takes time..
I read thru the supercharger for $1500 stickie and have occasionally looked for vortechs on ebay but I think that due to that post the prices have rocketed for used head units![/QUOTE]

Doing this kit is the best option for your budget, and it doesn't have to be a vortech. It can also be a Procharger or a Paxton head unit. Ebay may not be the best place to look. I'm planning on doing a turbo, so I can't really say, but ask most of the guys here wherer they've gotten them. Your best bet is probably looking through classifieds of various forums.

Quick Reply: which FI option would you choose and why?