4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Breather caps on valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Breather caps on valve covers?

Good idea or bad? Will it mess anything up if I pull those tubes off, put breathers on my valve covers, and cap the other ends? I just don't want my intake getting crapped up with oil worse then it probably already is. It never bothered my old SHO when I put breathers on it, but I wanted to be sure this thing would be ok with it as well before I bought everything. Its a 2000 GT btw.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you do it make sure you fully plug/cap the PCV port at the rear of the upper plenum so that unmetered air doesn't get in.

That said, it (removing/disabling the PCV system) will do nothing other than remove some under hood plumbing, and make the engine stink a bit. The PCV system is only active at "cruising" engine speeds and loads; and is a rather benign emissions "thingy" as emissions "thingies" go.

If your intake is being "crapped up with oil" then there is something wrong with the PCV valve, related plumbing. etc...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If you do it make sure you fully plug/cap the PCV port at the rear of the upper plenum so that unmetered air doesn't get in.

That said, it (removing/disabling the PCV system) will do nothing other than remove some under hood plumbing, and make the engine stink a bit. The PCV system is only active at "cruising" engine speeds and loads; and is a rather benign emissions "thingy" as emissions "thingies" go.

If your intake is being "crapped up with oil" then there is something wrong with the PCV valve, related plumbing. etc...
ok cool, thanks for the info.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

What is the box connected to the IAC to the left of guys right hand in this picture? Can or should that be removed as well if I was going to do this, or will that screw up the idle or something?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...gt-9604-06.jpg
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's a plenum/resonator box for the IAC--for intake noise suppression to some extent, however with it removed you may find idle control between shifts and on deceleration, acting oddly as it does provide a dampening/reserve capacity action when the IAC is working its hardest.

You can bet Ford didn't put it there just so they could increase production costs...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

My IAC must hate itself then, haha

I am thinking about doing this as well... does anybody know the dementions of both the ports? I know one is a plug type, and the other has a nipple on it.. or are they both nipple connections?

Im looking to clean up under the hood cliffy, but I dont want it to look rice either lol so
Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

It's a plenum/resonator box for the IAC--for intake noise suppression to some extent, however with it removed you may find idle control between shifts and on deceleration, acting oddly as it does provide a dampening/reserve capacity action when the IAC is working its hardest.

You can bet Ford didn't put it there just so they could increase production costs...
Well obviously it's not just for the hell of it, but I didn't know if it was just some stupid emission box thing, or if it actually helped idle and whatnot, that answers my question
Old 09-10-2010, 12:58 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Cliff, while we're on the topic of the PCV system, I've been thinking of getting a catch can for my setup. I've seen that the catch cans usually only instruct you to hook up to the PCV valve side of the engine. What about the other side? Is it unnecessary for the other side? If it should be used, especially since I plan on going turbo in the future, should I tee the lines together or use 2 catch cans?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
Cliff, while we're on the topic of the PCV system, I've been thinking of getting a catch can for my setup. I've seen that the catch cans usually only instruct you to hook up to the PCV valve side of the engine. What about the other side? Is it unnecessary for the other side? If it should be used, especially since I plan on going turbo in the future, should I tee the lines together or use 2 catch cans?
I have no idea, as I would not remove it (the PCV system) in the first place.

While the PCV system is an emissions related thingy, it imposes no performance hit as it is only active at cruising speeds and light loads.

OTH, it does provide great benefit during those periods when it is actively scavenging the nasty combustion blow-by gases (and moisture boiling out of the oil, and gases from broken down additives, etc.) from the heads/crankcase.

It does this actively and while the "nasties" are still in vapourous form.

A passive system (vents) cannot by definition be as effective and inevitably results in some of the bad stuff remaining behind and condensing. This is where upper engine sludge comes from--particularly on engines that are infrequently used and not ever held at top operating temperatures for extended periods.

On a "race car" where engine life is secondary to weight savings and reducing complexity I'd surely remove the PCV system. However on a DD, even a "high performance" DD, I'd leave it on as the benefits far outweigh any any performance gain--because the performance gain is zero, zilch, nada...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I have no idea, as I would not remove it (the PCV system) in the first place.

While the PCV system is an emissions related thingy, it imposes no performance hit as it is only active at cruising speeds and light loads.

OTH, it does provide great benefit during those periods when it is actively scavenging the nasty combustion blow-by gases (and moisture boiling out of the oil, and gases from broken down additives, etc.) from the heads/crankcase.

It does this actively and while the "nasties" are still in vapourous form.

A passive system (vents) cannot by definition be as effective and inevitably results in some of the bad stuff remaining behind and condensing. This is where upper engine sludge comes from--particularly on engines that are infrequently used and not ever held at top operating temperatures for extended periods.

On a "race car" where engine life is secondary to weight savings and reducing complexity I'd surely remove the PCV system. However on a DD, even a "high performance" DD, I'd leave it on as the benefits far outweigh any any performance gain--because the performance gain is zero, zilch, nada...
now there's some stuff I didn't know! I'll definintly leave mine on now.

Quick Reply: Breather caps on valve covers?