4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

please tell me im paranoid... tranny/clutch noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Default please tell me im paranoid... tranny/clutch noise?

Ok so drove home from work last night... nothing wrong with the car at all.

Got up this morning to go to the grocery store (kinda cool out, low 70s?)

Turn the car on.... kinda a dry/metal rub noise def from the clutch/tranny area under the car.

NOW, I noticed that whenever I put the car in neutral, and released the clutch, I could hear a little chatter from under the car. Press the clutch in... went away. Release clutch... chatter.

WTF? Driving very slow and listening to the car w/ the windows up, my clutch pedal SOUNDS squishy. It feels fine, grabs fine, no slipping or anything. But when you physically press it, it sounds "squishy".

Had to deal w/ that on the way to the grocery store... seemed to calm down the more I drove it.

Parked the car... still a little chatter in neutral and clutch pedal out.

Walked inside, let the car sit for about 15 min. Now no noise at all. No chatter, nothing. No squishy sound. WTF is going on with my car??? I am scared my clutch is about to blow...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:02 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

maybe your car just had to be warmed up, if i cold start my car it squeaks a litlle but i drive it around for about 5 min and its gone, might just be a cold engine start
Old 09-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheNameless
maybe your car just had to be warmed up, if i cold start my car it squeaks a litlle but i drive it around for about 5 min and its gone, might just be a cold engine start
That the same with me. Every morning when I start the car up everything just feels really wierd until it warms up. Then its totally normal.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

The chatter sounds like the TOB.

I'm sure if you take it to the track Thursday and slip the clutch the noise will only get better
Old 09-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I have a brand new King Cobra clutch and TOB, and I'm hearing chatter when I let the clutch out in neutral... Push in the clutch and it goes away... I hear and feel chatter in 4th as well when running at normal highway speed (3.73 gear). I'll be interested to seewhere this thread goes... it might help me.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

If you have a chatter when you're not pressing in the clutch and it goes away when you push the clutch in means bad TOB.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Too much powa!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

do you think its "bad" as in needs replacing, or "bad" as in, could go soon? because it seems to go away once the car warms up.

What is the price tag on a new TOB? If I have to replace this, I might as well do the clutch as well right? I mean, I have LT's so I only wana go in once.... u know?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

TOB is cheap but since you have a stock clutch and LTs I would do everything at once. Having LTs make it a PITA to get to the tranny if you can't slip the tranny out with the passenger side LT in.

I had a bad TOB for awhile when I bought my car and ran it like that for a while. If it really is the TOB making the chatter noise I think you will be fine but I wouldn't wait until the thing shatters into a million pieces to replace it.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:11 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
TOB is cheap but since you have a stock clutch and LTs I would do everything at once. Having LTs make it a PITA to get to the tranny if you can't slip the tranny out with the passenger side LT in.

I had a bad TOB for awhile when I bought my car and ran it like that for a while. If it really is the TOB making the chatter noise I think you will be fine but I wouldn't wait until the thing shatters into a million pieces to replace it.
ok well I just need a few months out of it so I can get a DD for the winter time... then I can have the car down for however long it takes.

So, check list will be:

New TOB
Clutch
Flywheel

anything else I am missing?

Quick Reply: please tell me im paranoid... tranny/clutch noise?