4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Help with suspension decision

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I mean I would go Griggs but MM is just as good and probably more affordable. And MM is the only one that makes a kit specifically for the bilsteins.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to check out mm and see what its going to cost me for everything. how hard is the panhard bar install?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Idk lol. I run an IRS which has the differential attached to a subframe of it's own and has no sideward motion problems like the solid rear does.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Don't mean to jack your thread, but I'm kinda in the same boat... I'm contemplating going with h&r ss or mm c/o as well, but the thought of a kmember and any major engine work is far, far in the future for me. As of right now I have tokico dspecs shocks and struts, mm c/c, and some cheap lowering springs from cj pony parts. I'm gonna get some mm subframe connectors here pretty soon as well. I'm looking for the same type of performance and I'm trying to get myself into autox maybe next summer. Do I get the ss springs and slam my car, or c/o up front and swap out the struts for some blisteins? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

CO's up front are a must for auto-x in my opinion. I mean it may bump you up a class in competition, but for me I am just doing it for fun. With coilovers you dont just get the benefits of just the added wheel rate, but you also get less brake dive and more responsive steering. So i'd say go coilovers. I'll take you for a spin in my car next time youre in town and you'll be sold. Trust me on this.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkshadow03gt
Alright. What brand coil over should I go with? Is upr any good? What spring rate should I go with?
I have installed many sets of UPR coilovers front and back on peoples cars and they are very good pieces. MM makes good stuff but they price it like it's made of gold. I personally only use QA1 or strange and never use a coilover the requires putting a sleeve over a shock or strut.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I'm looking for the same type of performance and I'm trying to get myself into autox maybe next summer. Do I get the ss springs and slam my car, or c/o up front and swap out the struts for some blisteins? Thanks.
If you plan on doing auto-x, or any type of racing for that matter, I wouldn't "slam" your car. Whenever you start lowering a car, you're taking some working range out of the suspension and changing the geometry. Also, I don't think a lot of people realize that your shocks and struts are designed to sit at a certain length. When you do something like drop the car 2", that's 2" that you've compressed the suspension past what it's supposed to be. For reasons like these, that's why you see drag racers having adjustable rear shock mounts and drop spindles.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
If you plan on doing auto-x, or any type of racing for that matter, I wouldn't "slam" your car. Whenever you start lowering a car, you're taking some working range out of the suspension and changing the geometry. Also, I don't think a lot of people realize that your shocks and struts are designed to sit at a certain length. When you do something like drop the car 2", that's 2" that you've compressed the suspension past what it's supposed to be. For reasons like these, that's why you see drag racers having adjustable rear shock mounts and drop spindles.
makes sense, thanks for the advice.... I didn't mean to sound like a 16yr old kid with a jetta when I said slammed bc to me the h&r ss springs are slamming my car like some of those ridiculous german cars

I'm going with mm c/o when I get the chance to put them in, would it be worth getting c/o for the rear or would that be over kill for my needs?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Any form of auto racing, when it comes to suspension, is about adjustability and consistency. The coilovers aren't a variable rate like most, so they should be a bit more predictable and a bit more consistent, and the added adjustability is a big plus. It all depends on how serious you are and how much money you wanna spend. Me personally, I'm a 1/4 mile kinda guy, I've already made the switch to an all spherical rear suspension with an anti roll bar, so for me, I'll definitely be doing rear coilovers as well as front at some point.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

Is there anything else besides the shocks and struts, CC plates, and CO kit that I need to set up the CO's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with suspension decision