4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
From experience, I will never buy a used transmission again from a stranger. I bought my transmission and I was told it was running fine and actually had 0 miles on the rebuild. Got it in and found out it needs rebuilt. I took a chance with the transmission actually being rebuilt. You can't trust people. If I was you I would get it rebuilt before putting it in.

There will be nothing more frustrating then putting in the transmission to find out something is wrong with it. Trust me, I know.
You're right, this is what I get for buying a used transmission. I'm just going to install it as is with the new converter, flexplate, and cooler and see what happens. Who knows how many miles it actually has on it. The guy said 47k, but then again, he also said it was stock. It may hold together for a while, it may not. If it at least allows me to dial in the car as far as the tune and shift-points etc...I will not be too pissed. The way I see it is I spent $400 on everything for the trans, harness, computer, yoke, pedal assy, interior trim, all the nuts and bolts for install, cross member, and a few other parts. If the trans fails, then I am not really out too much money since I didn't really pay much for it in the first place.

I think I will just hold on to the upgraded internals parts I got from Alan for now. Maybe I'll build a trans over the winter.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The trans is really clean inside as you can see by the pics. But I still don't know what to think since the guy blatantly lied to me a few times about it being stock.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Well good luck. Hopefully the trans will work but the fact he told you it was stock and it wasn't concerns me and also when you told me initially how much you spent on everything I was a little concerned with the trans being functioning 100%.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

This is what the guy said when I asked him about the shift kit....mind you, I only got it for that cheap cause nobody else bid on it on eBay.

****, I had no idea. *That explains a little because the transmission has a nice firm shift. *I called my brother, he works for Ford, and he was the one that pulled it a few years ago when we did some engine work. *He said he put a shift kit in there when we did a fluid flush and filter change and pan seal. *As for which one it has, I am sure it wasn't the expensive one. *I really don't know too much about automatics, and that is half of the reason that I am doing this swap. *All I know is that is shifted nicely when I took it out, so I never thought any different. *I know the filter and might not be a ford part, aftermarket because that was changed very recently. *The pan gasket was also replaced as those will inevitably leak. *If it were me, I would just change the pump seal, pan seal, filter, and dipstick seal, and install it. *It shifted great for me.

Sorry for the mix up. *I did not know. *It probably would have brought more on ebay if I would have mentioned the shift kit, but I had no idea. *Sorry for the mix up. *I have tried to be straight up with you.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

If his brother is a Ford tech why doesn't he realize its a life-time pan gasket and doesn't need to be changed?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I don't know. Now that I think about t, the only thing that I wouldn't be able to re-use of the upgraded parts is the new OD band, but they are only like $20. I think I might just install the upgraded internals anyways and keep my fingers crossed that this thing works at least for a while. If and when I need to replace the trans, I can use the upgraded parts out of it minus the OD band. Maybe I will just sell the stuff to do the j-mod to someone looking to do the upgrade and use the money to help buy a deep sump pan
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 AM
351clevormustang

Default My swap

Can anyone lend assistance where the OD switch wiring is hooked up to? I have all the parts for my 99 swap and dont see where the switch connects.

thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

It's under the cup holder area.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
It's under the cup holder area.
+1 and its so annoying to get to the actual connector without completely removing the center console

I had to completely loosen all bolts to get to it. I really didnt want to have to remove the shifter boot and all.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 AM
351clevormustang

we looked several times.. its not there. does anyone know how to splice into.the pcm harness?

Quick Reply: 4r70w automatic swap parts pics!!!!!