4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 AM
ironboyofwar

Default Cams

Hi again. 2004 gt, 5 speed, cai, o/r x pipe. stock engine.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...s-xe270ah.html

will these cams fit in my stock heads? and i have 105xxx miles. do i need the cam gears and whats the installation price?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 02:46 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Yes they will. Im sure more then one person is gonna get on here and say something about PTV clearance and recommend another cam. I have these cams and as long as you get them installed CORRECTLY there is no PTV clearance issues. Again, more then one person is going to get on here and recommend 3 different cams, and mention something about PTV clearance. I repeat, they WILL WORK IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY

BTW with those cams you need to upgrade your valve springs as well, not optional. I wish I bought cam gears because you can tell with the variable timing that the motor sometimes gets out of "sync" with itself. Install is gonna cost you a pretty penny for sure. I paid about as much in install (possibly more) as I paid for parts.

sorry guys, you know its true :-p
Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 AM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
Yes they will. Im sure more then one person is gonna get on here and say something about PTV clearance and recommend another cam. I have these cams and as long as you get them installed CORRECTLY there is no PTV clearance issues. Again, more then one person is going to get on here and recommend 3 different cams, and mention something about PTV clearance. I repeat, they WILL WORK IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY

Define "installed correctly" please.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by 0949er

BTW with those cams you need to upgrade your valve springs as well, not optional. I wish I bought cam gears because you can tell with the variable timing that the motor sometimes gets out of "sync" with itself. Install is gonna cost you a pretty penny for sure. I paid about as much in install (possibly more) as I paid for parts.

sorry guys, you know its true :-p
You said you just dropped them in and didn't degree them. How do you know they are installed at the right IC?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 AM
EI-03-GT
2nd Gear Member

im am running that cam right now on stock heads with no issue so i wound encourage you to buy them. i love them.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
Define "installed correctly" please.
I love it when people say this, and go no further to explain it in detail lol. Kind of makes you wonder if they just plain don't really know.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I love it when people say this, and go no further to explain it in detail lol. Kind of makes you wonder if they just plain don't really know.

Its simple, they don't know. Once you actually measure these things you usually stop posting a bunch of BS.

BTW - stock springs are fine with the Comp270 even though Comp says otherwise and wants you to run their springs with pretty much the same specs as the stock springs............
Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

what are the recommended ICL for these cams? 234 duration is pretty big for a stock valve/piston setup... too big because you'd have to retard them at what 113-114 ICL?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
what are the recommended ICL for these cams? 234 duration is pretty big for a stock valve/piston setup... too big because you'd have to retard them at what 113-114 ICL?
Not to long ago they changed the ICL from 109 to 113. That should tell you something right there. The 113 fits barely, but it's too tight to be safe IMO.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
aviator97

For a similar price I would buy one of Nicks cams. Guaranteed to fit with out ptv contact and "installed correctly" because he wont let you do it wrong. His customer service is second to none.

Don't get me wrong I love the comp cams, you can see in my sig I'm using the xe274. I was told it would fit also, luckily I had my engine on a stand and was able to mock the heads up and check the clearance...way off. I contacted Nick and he suggested I get my pistons fly cut for the valve clearance and have the cams tolerances checked against each other (out of phase). Nick found that my cams were about 4 degrees off each other, I believe they were at 108 and 112 degrees when installed. I used the crank shaft style adjuster and have had great results.

If I could do it over, I would just use one of Nicks custom grinds and save a lot of headache and hart burn.

whatever you chose to do good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: Cams