4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

advice-first time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM
sjo627

Default advice-first time buyer

I'm starting to look around at cars and obviously I'm into Mustangs. One of my many questions is how much should I be prepared to spend? I would like at 2001 or maybe '02 if I can afford it, coupe, V8 with less than 80,000 miles. I realize they are sports cars and people buy them to beat on them so miles matter. Right now I have about $4,000 to spend and after some searching I know that won't get me much. Should I go for something with high mileage, or save up from working over the winter? I'd earn maybe 3gs making my spending point about 6,000. Is it worth the wait? Just trying to get some good advice. Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

these motors can take a beating. they are the same motor in crown vics (cop and taxi cabs) and can see 200+ with proper maintenance. you can find a 99-04 gt with decent miles for 4-6k just keep an eye out. make sure it gets checked out before you buy it tho. i'm not telling you to buy now, and i'm not telling you to wait either. just keep your eyes open for cars that come up for sale and check them out while you continue to save money.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

i agree 4-6k can get you a decent GT. but keep in mind that if your income is not great these things eat gas and insurance money. its not to bad but its a factor. i would say save a lil and make sure you get the right car.

i saved and sold my v6 and i found an 02 convertable (in sig) with 23xxx miles for $11,000. but i have seen gts with 100xxx+ miles go for cheap.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

bought my 96 gt with 122K for $4700 3 years ago... I probably could have gotten it lower but it was really well maintained so i didn't mined. I would try to find a 99+ if i were shopping now though. They have the pi (power improved) motor in them already. I did the swap on my own so it wasn't to bad. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If I were you I would just wait till after the winter, I see you live in MASS. I'd start looking to buy till the snow and everything is over this way you'll save yourself a possibly wreck if you plan on driving it year round and you'll also have some more money saved up which could open you up to some nicer/better cars.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Do not by a Mustang if you think that it will be fast and handle like a sports car. They are not and do not, stock. If you dont mind getting smoked by Subarus', Camaros, and BMWs' then this is the car for you. If you are thinking of hot rodding it, make sure you have several grand laying around for upgrades.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 AM
sonicx
speed'n

(insert above advice here) ...... (Adding to) save up over the winter. Although keep an eye open throughout the winter season because sport cars are typically cheaper than when the spring season happens.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

agree with everyone else...save a little more loot.. remember money talks BS walks..
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Do not by a Mustang if you think that it will be fast and handle like a sports car. They are not and do not, stock. If you dont mind getting smoked by Subarus', Camaros, and BMWs' then this is the car for you. If you are thinking of hot rodding it, make sure you have several grand laying around for upgrades.
What kind of assanine comment is this. If you are comparing per say you're 98 npi GT vert to newer 2005 and up turbo cars such as wrx, evo, bmw etc etc and newer LS camaros of course you will loose, did u expect that a 12 year old failry stock mustang would be running with far newer performance cars? You have to compare new with new and old with old. saying a mustang is slow and will lose to all of the above cars is just a poor statement. Take a 2011 Gt and compare it to a new wrx or a new camaro its a more sensible comparison. Thats like telling someone not to buy a 1967 2+2 Mustang fastback with a 289 because its gonna get smoked by all the new Mustangs and camaros.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
What kind of assanine comment is this. If you are comparing per say you're 98 npi GT vert to newer 2005 and up turbo cars such as wrx, evo, bmw etc etc and newer LS camaros of course you will loose, did u expect that a 12 year old failry stock mustang would be running with far newer performance cars? You have to compare new with new and old with old. saying a mustang is slow and will lose to all of the above cars is just a poor statement. Take a 2011 Gt and compare it to a new wrx or a new camaro its a more sensible comparison. Thats like telling someone not to buy a 1967 2+2 Mustang fastback with a 289 because its gonna get smoked by all the new Mustangs and camaros.

Bull!!! Most people bought their mustang thinking it was fast, and then got a rude awakening. This guy sounds young and will prolly want to get in a couple light to lights. That Evo, camaro etc. is not going to give a rats *** what year he has, they will just smoke him. Mustangs are supposed to be performance cars, 195 rwhp is not exactly high performance any way you slice it.

Quick Reply: advice-first time buyer