4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Centri vs Twin screw blowers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Where are you getting your information to back up that a twin screw will make more power per psi.... thus causing more heat?

and at least cite where you found that, because I have a very difficult time believing you just came up with this all off the cuff.
Sorry, I edited my post. What I meant to say was that the centri takes less power to spin.....ie less parasitic loss when compared to a positive displacement blower

And sorry, but you can search the entire internet if you want to, those are my words.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 09-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank
Basically said, the twin screw reaches it's target boost number immediately and then tries to maintain it through out the power band (which it typically will taper off unless you have a monster *** blower) vs the centri style blower which will continue to build boost until redline.

This is why the centri style cars tend to be faster at the track... As long as your blower is appropriately sized, the only think stopping you from making more and more boost, is your shift.
Boost does not taper off in a twin screw. Boost is very linear throughout the power band. At max you'll lose like maybe one psi. The way I look at it, centri blowers are the combination of the worst attributes of a turbo and a twin screw. For a supercharger, you have the belt driven heatunit, but no instant torque. For the turbo portion, you get the "lag" so to speak without the efficiency. I just really don't like centri blowers, but that doesn't bias anything I've just said.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Sorry, I edited my post. What I meant to say was that the centri takes less power to spin.....ie less parasitic loss when compared to a positive displacement blower

And sorry, but you can search the entire internet if you want to, those are my words.
How do you figure that? I'm not doubting it, I'm just curious. How i see it is they are both driven off the same belt...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Boost does not taper off in a twin screw. Boost is very linear throughout the power band. At max you'll lose like maybe one psi. The way I look at it, centri blowers are the combination of the worst attributes of a turbo and a twin screw. For a supercharger, you have the belt driven heatunit, but no instant torque. For the turbo portion, you get the "lag" so to speak without the efficiency. I just really don't like centri blowers, but that doesn't bias anything I've just said.
The way I see it, @ x-psi, a centri might make a few more horsepower up top when compared to a TS but sacrifices a lot of lower end torque. If you are worried about a few more horsepower, then run 1 more psi, then you will have more power up top and gobs more torque down low.

The centri superchargers are just plain cheaper and easier for manufacturers to produce for a wide variety of vehicles which is why there are so many more running around vs TS blowers. You take a handful of centri blower designs and all you have to do is make a bracket kit that will allow you to bolt the thing to the side of an engine. You can bolt the same blower to a large variety of cars just by making a bunch of different brackets.

A twin screw blower requires a lot more R&D to produce a good kit since at the minimum you are stuck designing an intake manifold that will fit the blower (and in most cases fit under the stock hood while maintaining all original equipment)

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 09-20-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
How do you figure that? I'm not doubting it, I'm just curious. How i see it is they are both driven off the same belt...

It's simple physics. You are talking about the power it takes to spin a small impeller in a centri blower vs 2 larger heavier rotors found in a twin screw. Both run off the same belt, but one is harder to spin. Think of how much easier it is for you to spin a bike tire by hand vs how hard it would be to spin a car tire by hand. Less rotating mass = less power needed to rotate the same speed.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

I guaranty I could make my iat's lower on my kb than someone with an average centri kit. If I run a big ice box for my intercooler it will keep it cooler than an air to air intercooled centri but if you have a water to air kit it is a lot closer in iat's. And to who ever said that ts blowers lose boost in higher rpm's I don't hit 20 psi till 5500 and don't lose any. I hit 16 psi at 2500 and slowly build more.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^....Aren't you special? lol
Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
I guaranty I could make my iat's lower on my kb than someone with an average centri kit. If I run a big ice box for my intercooler it will keep it cooler than an air to air intercooled centri but if you have a water to air kit it is a lot closer in iat's. And to who ever said that ts blowers lose boost in higher rpm's I don't hit 20 psi till 5500 and don't lose any. I hit 16 psi at 2500 and slowly build more.
Yeah, I don't know where the loss of boost at high rpm rumor started.....but it is just not the case with twin screw superchargers. If you have belt slip maybe, but that has nothing to do with the type of blower.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I dont see a centri beating a twin screw anyday with a properly set up suspension on both cars. Instant torque=first to the finish.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

I can see were one would say a ts takes more power to make boost. Iirc my 2.8h take about 55 - 65 bhp's to make boost were a 3.6 lc kb takes in the area of 80 bhp to spin that blower properly. I haven't done a lot of research on centri blowers and how much power they take to spin them. And purplehomogt I am special lol.

Quick Reply: Centri vs Twin screw blowers