4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

REAR END LEAKING!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:40 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Default REAR END LEAKING!

Hey fellas, i made the common error when i re-did my brake pads i just used a jack and jacked the car up in the rear end with the jack under the gear diff cover ( now i know to use a piece of wood to evenly distribute the pressure) but now its slowly leakin....son of a b*tch! But my question is can I just replace the differential cover with something like this? http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-79...le-system.html
It comes with gasket for it and everything else, or am I going to have to take it to a mechanic and get charged like 500 bucks? If i can do this myself do i need to jack the car up or anything? Please guys help I feel like im on a bad streak with my car ( bad idle,fixed due to holes in tubing by RAI, needed new pads ( took 5 hours cuz I thought that a C-clamp would push the piston on the caliper back in turns out i had the screw it back in with vice grips), now my diff cover is leakin.)

Thanks, Nick
Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

From the sounds of it a new rear diff cover and gasket will fix your problem. Don't take it to a shop. Read the write up on americanmuscle.com on how to install it. New fluid will be needed also.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

sweet! thanks GearHead, I know for sure if i wanted new gears then i would have to go to a mechanic, but for just replacing the diff cover its pretty much just unscrewing a couple bolts and rescrewing them thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Most people prefer RTV sealant vs. a rubber gasket, less likely to leak (factory uses it as well). Just put a nice bead of it on the housing before you install the cover; might need to wait an hour or two for it to set up before you add fluid. And something to think about if you're replacing the cover is to get one that has fill and drain plugs to make the job of changing fluid easier for next time.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Diff cover takes nothing special to do. lol it will make it easier to have the car up in the air a bit, but all you gotta do is take the old cover off, clean off the surfaces that you'll be putting sealant on with some mineral spirits or something like that to make sure they are clean and free from contaminants, and then put the RTV on, bolt the cover on and torque the bolts down if necessary, and then after a few minutes(or however long you gotta wait for it to set) add the diff fluid with friction modifier if it is needed. Now make sure that you have the right amount of diff fluid as i know some diff covers require more fluid as they increase the amount of room to allow more fluid for better cooling, so just make sure you put enough fluid in and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i replaced mine, its easy but that smell never goes away
Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

For future reference, from the factory shop manual:

"CAUTION: Under no circumstances should the vehicle ever be lifted by the suspension arm brackets, rear stabilizer or differential housing or convertible cross brace. Severe damage to the vehicle could result." [emphasis added]
Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
For future reference, from the factory shop manual:

"CAUTION: Under no circumstances should the vehicle ever be lifted by the suspension arm brackets, rear stabilizer or differential housing or convertible cross brace. Severe damage to the vehicle could result." [emphasis added]
okkkkk where do it put the jack next time for future references, if i cant use the differential housing?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Jacking points...
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Its pretty funny that Cliff just taught you where to jack from....LMAO!!

Quick Reply: REAR END LEAKING!