4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mods for a 2002 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

It all really depends on how far you want to go with this. Suspension wise, by the time all the welding was done on tq. boxes, the anti-roll bar and the subframe connectors, between parts and install I spent about $2G's on rear suspension and subframes. It cut's mid 1.7 60's on 17" wheels with M/T's, so needless to say it hooks like hell, but I wanted a drag setup. You might not want to dive that far into it. As said above, nitrous is very safe if it's done right. I think it gets a bad rep from people not getting a correct tune and/or running to big of a shot for their motor to handle. I really love blowers and turbos (I plan on putting one of the two on my ride), but if you're looking for the cheapest way to get to low 12's/high 11's, nitrous is what's going to get you there.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

If you don't mind running nitrous I say buy your friends kit. You would need a new fuel pump and injectors to run the kit but those won't break the bank. Nitrous isn't dangerous if properly setup. So whoever told you that isn't educated on the topic.

If you decide on the nitrous route, you can spend the rest on suspension, sticky tires, building the rear and buying a STS. Suspension I would get LCAs, UCAs, FLSFCs and maybe shocks and struts if you can afford it. If you want to launch your car DON'T put lowering springs on. It may make your car look better but it doesn't help your launching.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

he wont need injectors if its a wet kit.

check out the sticky in the 4.6 section for general how to's. theres a thread called "how to run 12's on a budget" has some of the good basic suspension mods in there i believe.

as far as the blower, check out the 1500$ sticky in the boost section. you can find a complete blower kit on this or other forums, or ebay for pretty cheap also. as far as brands... paxton, vortech, kenne bell (new and even used will be the most expensive ones), procharger, are all good brands.

or you can do nitrous on the cheap. i bought my buddys old nitrous kit for 100 bucks minus a few of the switches. all said and done a very reliable, high end nitrous kit can be put together for under a grand. so in all honesty, you could do nitrous, suspension, and your paint job with the 5 g's. but if you want a blower, i would skip the paint job for now. if you were getting some crazy design for 1500 bucks sure, but going from blue to black really wouldnt be on my priority list if i had 5 grand in my pocket.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
he wont need injectors if its a wet kit.
It's not
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

If it were me, I would spend 2k on a vortech blower that you can piece together yourself and 3k on a forged shortblock.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Since, we're on the topic of breaking stuff, I would get rid of that stage 3 clutch for either a 1 or 2.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Falcon1

Alright. thanks for all the help everyone. I'm actually running a 2000 GT, no idea why I wrote 2002. Not that it really matters. Anyway, I'll be checking out all the general sections, thanks. And try to find a cheap blower as well I suppose. Guess I will skip on the paintjob now, and just spend the extra cash on more mods.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
If it were me, I would spend 2k on a vortech blower that you can piece together yourself and 3k on a forged shortblock.
+1....
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 AM
TexasMach
1st Gear Member

You could forge your bottom end or buy a forged shortblock and spend the rest of the cash on some suspension goodies. Then start saving for a blower and supporting mods
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Spilotro
2nd Gear Member

If you really must have it black, why not just sell it and get a black car? Lots of people are all over the blue ones, and I think they look damn good.

Quick Reply: Mods for a 2002 GT?