4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mach 460 died help with new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Default Mach 460 died help with new head unit

I noticed noone posts in the audio section so im reposting this here

So my 460 6-disc head unit got the cd error fixed it but i kind of want to upgrade a little, sometimes it randomly shuts on and off, all i want is to listen to music again and it would be nice to have ipod/aux input for once. I dont need anything super nice i just want it to sound like it does now and i dont want a single din because they look out of place to me. If i buy this will it be all i need and will everything work just like before, it says it comes with the install kit? How bad is installation? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_110VM92....html?tp=20217
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

that and a little $10 kit from wal-mart, i forget what its called it'll have a buncha different colored wires in it and on the back it'll have all of the cars its compatable with, you have to be careful because theres one thats Ford specific, but iirc thats not the right one, you need the one thats good for many types of cars (not quite universal but close) and it'll say 79-04 (or some year range) Ford Premium sound. Pretty much just make sure you get the one that says premium sound. I forget what the box is actually called something like Disc wiring harness or some bull****.

The install itself was easy, the hardest part taking the old system out, you might need a dash kit for empty spaces. IDK.

I do have a full mach 460 .w 6 CD changer headunit (not sure if the CD changer is IN the headunit?) if you wanna go the easy way out and buy that.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

im ditching the 6 disc its been acting up to much i want something more reliable. It says it comes with all the install stuff for a 2003 mustang, i just wanted to make sure it is perfectly compatible with all the stock speakers and everything before i buy it
Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by antiv6
im ditching the 6 disc its been acting up to much i want something more reliable. It says it comes with all the install stuff for a 2003 mustang, i just wanted to make sure it is perfectly compatible with all the stock speakers and everything before i buy it
not sure, it might be different because the mach is a "premium" sound system, as i stated the ford specific one won't plug into your existing clip, ( the one with all the wires going to it) so i'm not sure if this one will, if not just go buy it from wal-mart. I'd just try to see if the one you get works, you should be able to tell if you can plug it in or not. Also, i had 2 single thick black wires ( i think, atleast 1) that didn't need plugging in that were plugged to my stock system though i didn't have the 6 cd changer in my car.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Gotcha, i ended up just buying this one because i could actually find reviews on it haha. Hopefully everything goes well, cant wait to ditch the stock 6 disk.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-P3100DVD.html
Old 09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

its called an installation wire kit and that harness will just plug into your plug for the 6disc unit you just have to match up the wires from the head unit that you buy and make sure they are covered with electric tape or smthng when you get done. the only thing that will not plug in is the factory amps. so it will sound kinda weak so plan for an amp and subs or a sub.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:41 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ya i think once this is in im going to get more into audio, hopefully ill be satisfied with just the new head unit though so i dont go spending a ton of money haha
Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

Finally got it in, i actually ended up with the 3200 model, everything sounds better than before, its so nice to be able to use an ipod for once and i think the head unit looks a lot better than the stock one.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

looks real good!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Thats a really nice unit! Did you get both wiring harnesses. One for the stereo install and the other to hook up the stock subwoofers?

Quick Reply: Mach 460 died help with new head unit