4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Car started a loud ping...afraid to let it run.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 02dkbluegt
The remote start system was removed about 4 months ago and it has not had an issue since, minus the PATS episode about 2 weeks ago. I am embarrassed to say I installed the remote start system myself about 5 years ago when I was still in high school. It worked for about 4.5 years flawlessly but then it started giving me problems so I pulled the all the fuses and removed the control unit. I will rip into the ignition next opportunity I get and trace the white/pink wire in attempt to find where its getting this 12v when in the run position.

As much as I don't like electrical work, I'd much rather be doing this than taking the starter out...from what I heard they are a pain in the vehicles.
Taking the starter out is a PITA when lying on your back with the car up on jack-stands--up on a lift it's not too bad.

As to why it is only an issue with the belt on has to be related to some sort of "back-feed" from the generator and/or the higher system voltage when the generator is "generating".

Try to reconnect everything associated with the remote starter back to stock--do you still have the installation instructions?

Let me know if you need any wiring diagrams for specific circuits--I have a shop manual that has them all.

The good news is that I think we have the problem isolated to some extent...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

Yes I still have the instructions. I'm in my senior year going for a BS in Mechanical Engineering, that and working 40hrs this week is leaving me with no spare time. I'll get working on this next chance I get. I probably will be asking for some wiring diagrams once I get into it, my Haynes manual doesn't go too deep into the ignition like that shop manual you have.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Where are you going to school?

I have a BSME, and was just a bit away from a MSEE when kids and family and mortgage payments got in the way--almost 40 years ago now...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

I'm in Orlando going to UCF.

Currently in a Senior Design class where our team is working on a hydraulic regenerative braking vehicle. Pretty interesting stuff, unfortunately our funding is going to be quite low so we will probably be designing the system to work on a golf cart.

I'm considering going for a masters depending on how the job market treats me about 9 months from now when I graduate.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

My grandson graduated from UCF a couple years ago with a BSIT. I went to Wentworth Institute in Boston, and then MIT ('71).

Please let me know how things progress, we'll get this puppy back in use for you!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

well i'm sure you're relieved that it's something in the wiring and nothing in the engine. i know i would be . glad you guys got it narrowed down, let us know what you figure out and good luck with it. electrical work sucks big time.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Blacksslumina
2nd Gear Member

could be bolt off one of the rods, drop oil pan and check for signs of wear(shavings, bolts etc)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 PM
02dkbluegt
1st Gear Member

Well the problem is solved. You were right Cliff, the silly remote start system did screw it all up. When I disabled the whole system months ago I simply removed all the fuses leading to the system and then assumed it would no longer have any effect on the vehicle. Well this would have been the case had I removed ALL the fuses. Today I found one fuse that I had forgot, and of course this was one of two fuses that links the system to the ignition . Once I removed this final fuse and finally completely disabled the remote start system the problem was solved.

Though the car did run fine for at least 4 months now with that one fuse still in there, something in that control unit must have finally failed last week. As far as the link to this issue and the belt...I agree it has something to do with the system receiving the 14+ volts it can get from the charging system when the alternator is spinning as opposed to the 11-12v it is getting when running only off the battery. I picture a relay in that control unit being the culprit...nonetheless the control unit has been removed and the problem is solved.

Thank you cliffyk and everyone else for you're help.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Way cool!