4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Couple questions for the pro's!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Trip420

Default Couple questions for the pro's!!

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and have a few questions about the 4.6l 2v

I have owned a 2001 4.6 2v Mustang GT ragtop w/AT for about 5 years.. The wife has always driven it, so it's bone stock in every way. I drove an original 1971 454ci Corvette Stingray that recently sold for $30k. I have taken the GT back from her and I essentially want to crank it up to 575-600rwhp on pump gas. It will be a street car and raced occasionally when the time or situation is right.. I want my engine to make those numbers with ease, not while living on the edge...

I've owned a handful of V8 Mustangs over the years, but all were 5.0's from the late 80's and early 90's. I have no idea what this 4.6 is capable of, or if it's even worth bothering with. I understand the transmission will need to be beefed up, as well as the rearend & frame, but I want to talk engines here.. I have all the proceeds available from the sale of the Vette to put into the Mustang for a budget...

The main reason I want to do this, is that I have a friend with a stock 2008 Corvette Z06. He consistantly kicked my Corvettes butt around town, so I want to build this Mustang to return the favor!!

So, where would you start to make the kind of HP I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

MMR 800 short block
Trick flow ported heads
Trick Flow upper and lower intake with 75mm Throttle Body
Mhs 2.5r blower cams
Vortech V-2 T-trim intercooled

What transmission is in the car now?
If its an auto, itll handle the power you want.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Trip420

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
MMR 800 short block
Trick flow ported heads
Trick Flow upper and lower intake with 75mm Throttle Body
Mhs 2.5r blower cams
Vortech V-2 T-trim intercooled

What transmission is in the car now?
If its an auto, itll handle the power you want.

It is the stock automatic.. I'll assume it'll need a looser converter and what about the valve body?

Thanks for the response, I'm going to go look up those parts you suggested..
Old 10-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

The actual transmission can handle quite a bit of power. Get a different torque converter and valve body. I forget the name of the company that makes the valve body. Its not to exspensive though. Itll increase shifting pressure and increase the life of the tranny. You can change a few smaller things to the tranny with a hand held tuner aswell.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Trip420

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
The actual transmission can handle quite a bit of power. Get a different torque converter and valve body. I forget the name of the company that makes the valve body. Its not to exspensive though. Itll increase shifting pressure and increase the life of the tranny. You can change a few smaller things to the tranny with a hand held tuner aswell.

You start talking about the handheld tuners and I get lost immediately..

Are those heads you suggested 2v or 4v?

Also, any negative opinions on opting for the aluminum MMR 800 4.6 block for an additional $700?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

F that if you have the cash and you're serious about getting this thing to 500-600RWHP Get the MMR 900 and a Kenne Bell 2.6L.

Your transmission(4R70W) will handle that power. Get a J-MOD Valve body from BC Automotive or Dirty Dog Performance. If you are wanting to be able to launch at the track get a 2800-3200 stall converter for the Kenne Bell, if you have a centrifugal get a 3800-4200 stall. But a stall that big will not be fun to drive on the street.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Trip420

Originally Posted by Hangwire
F that if you have the cash and you're serious about getting this thing to 500-600RWHP Get the MMR 900 and a Kenne Bell 2.6L.

Your transmission(4R70W) will handle that power. Get a J-MOD Valve body from BC Automotive or Dirty Dog Performance. If you are wanting to be able to launch at the track get a 2800-3200 stall converter for the Kenne Bell, if you have a centrifugal get a 3800-4200 stall. But a stall that big will not be fun to drive on the street.

I'm dead serious bro, I've got the cash from my Vette ready to go and winter is almost here... I want 600rwhp though, or as close as we can get to it.. I'd prefer a twin screw blower to be quite honest.. I like that lower stall converter for the KB blower as well.. Thanks for your input..
Old 10-02-2010, 06:17 PM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

From experience i will recommend not wasting your time with the mods. I have a 700hp mustang i am selling to purchase a C6Z. They are amazing performance cars and for the money you will need to put in the mustang it's not worth it. With just a few mods on the Z a stang wont touch it on the street. This is my 3rd mustang and they are great for what they are. I think the mustang needs to be compared more to the camaro as the new vettes are in a different league.

Didn't say any of this to **** anyone off just my opinion from research and facts.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

A couple of things. First what is your budget. Second, I would spend money on a 2003 Cobra hard top especially if you are going to track your car. It is a much better platform to begin with. If you race it you will need a 4 point cage at a minimum but at 600 rwhp you will need a full cage on a vert. If you want to spend over 15K then I recommend the following to attain your goals:

Engine:
MMR900 shortblock fully forged motor (note they don't sell the MMR800 anymore)
TFS heads Stage III and CMS custom stage BLOWER cams maybe 3.5 or 4
Cobra High Volume Oil Pump
MMR 9Q oil pan
Clutch Stage 3

Fuel:
80lb injectors
PRO M 92 Mass Air Flow Sensor
Dual Cobra Pumps and fuel tank
All new fuel lines
KB BAP

Blower:
KB 2.6 inner cooled
8 rib pulley

Exhaust
Full exhaust Long Tubes (Kooks)

Reaend and Suspension:
3.55 or 3.73s gearing
Fully built rearend with either 31" or 33" alxe splines
Detriot locker
Welded full length subframes
Lower control arms
Drag Radials

Brakes:
Cobra Brake upgrade
Custom Dyno Tune
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Trip420

Originally Posted by saleen556
From experience i will recommend not wasting your time with the mods. I have a 700hp mustang i am selling to purchase a C6Z. They are amazing performance cars and for the money you will need to put in the mustang it's not worth it. With just a few mods on the Z a stang wont touch it on the street. This is my 3rd mustang and they are great for what they are. I think the mustang needs to be compared more to the camaro as the new vettes are in a different league.

Didn't say any of this to **** anyone off just my opinion from research and facts.
Hey 556, I hear you... I've driven my buddys Z06 a bunch of times and it surely is an awesome car.. Honestly, it's the most incredible car I've ever driven!! I also have a friend who just bought a 2010 ZR1.. What a beast that is.. I was actually going to sell the Mustang along with the Vette and hunt down a Velocity Yellow 08 Z06, but they are hard to come by for a decent price with the options I'd like.. Add in that I find it a hard pill to swallow dropping 50 large on a 3 year old used Chevrolet.. So I decided to look into building a blown beast for the Pony..

Quick Reply: Couple questions for the pro's!!