4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

BBK Throttle body/ plenum combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 AM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
def consider the 78mm if you have cams or if you are going F/I. I still think that it is the best deal for a T/B & Plenum, but there are plenty of people who say it is overkill. [I]Overkill or not[/I], it is still the best deal you will find on a new T/B & Plenum.
when you say over kill you mean its ridiculously big for a t/b or its like an over kill for n/a stangs and will hurt more than help?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:43 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

its just ridiculously big haha. You will have to alter your Intake if you want it to fit up, because the coupler they give you (even with a aftermarket intake) will not be big enough to fit on the T/B more then likley. I had to stretch my JLT Cold Air like a **** to get it to fit.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The "78mm" part of the BBK 78mm TB/plenum is just a marketing gimmick, if a TB larger than 75mm offered any benefit Accufab would make one--they don't...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
its just ridiculously big haha. You will have to alter your Intake if you want it to fit up, because the coupler they give you (even with a aftermarket intake) will not be big enough to fit on the T/B more then likley. I had to stretch my JLT Cold Air like a **** to get it to fit.
hahaha ok thanks, I also have the JLT intake, i will most likely be buying this then within the next couple of weeks see how it goes, someone else mentioned about getting gears, Id love to have gears but there no way in hell I'd do it myself( too precise) and when i had my old v6 hehehe i was going to put gears on it and got a quote of like 900 ( not sure if that sounds right...) for EVERYTHING labor and parts which is money i dont have. I also dont plan on going F/I with this car it has waayyy too many miles on(136k) it and would rather get a better car to F/I ie: cobra, 5.0 even 05-09 stangs
Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

my gears were installed by a guy who specializes in mustangs in NY for 225. The gears them selves aren't to pricey either. After a ~100 bucks for bearings and lube it comes out to about 600 bucks with install. You should bring your own gears and bearings to a local shop and ask then. trust me, gears>>>all intake mods combined (besides S/C of course )
Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

I love my BBK 78mm. It is definitely not hurting my N/A performance as some ID10Ts will have you believe. IMO, the only reason not to go with the BBK 78mm combo is if you are planning on going with a positive displacement blower in the near future as the unit will need to be replaced.

Any other setup, why spend extra money on something when you don't have to. You also don't need to worry about the TB and Plenum ports lining up like when you mix and match different brands as the BBK is one unit and matched exactly.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
I love my BBK 78mm. It is definitely not hurting my N/A performance as some ID10Ts will have you believe. IMO, the only reason not to go with the BBK 78mm combo is if you are planning on going with a positive displacement blower in the near future as the unit will need to be replaced.

Any other setup, why spend extra money on something when you don't have to. You also don't need to worry about the TB and Plenum ports lining up like when you mix and match different brands as the BBK is one unit and matched exactly.
good point!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM
NASTY03GT
1st Gear Member

I love my Accufab TB and Plenum combo!! I went with a 70mm for I have just bolt ons at the time. If I can save up for my s/c, then I will go for the 78mm BBK one.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

BBK makes in my opinion a lot of junk, but this tb/plenum combo is a good part for a good price.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd

im with u tbird i dont have any problems with mine and its def cheaper than buying 2 seperate pieces

Quick Reply: BBK Throttle body/ plenum combo