4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There's a big difference between hand made CF body panels, laid up of woven CF cloth and copolymer resin, and fully engineered CF components using more exotic binders and manufacturing techniques (pressure and heat bonding, etc.).

The HSW article was based largely on the latter, not an after market hood for a Mustang.

BTW and FWIW, I am sure most are aware but thought I'd mention it anyway--the bonnet and boot (hood and trunk lid) on our cars are made of composite material (pressure bonded glass and resin) and are rather light as compared to were they made of steel.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Case's97GT
1st Gear Member

I Came across this thread by accident, but even though it's a little old I will add to it. When taking about carbon fiber there are different ways to use it. When dealing with CF fabric it is similar to fiberglass. Depending on what you are wanting to use CF for will depend on what you use it with. If looking for structural integrity such as body panels or any part of the frame DO NOT do it yourself. This requires a mixture of materials you would be using CF 1k, CF 3k, and Kevlar for structural integrity. With out the kevlar between your layers of CF it would simply shatter just like glass if hit in an accident. Interior or cosmetic stuff just CF is fine. For body panels you would need to use 2 different weaves of CF and Use Kevlar between the layers. This would still reduce weight, but the cost would not be worth it plus if doing body panels you would need to make them using a dry process, meaning you would have to Vaccum bag the parts. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
TBKustoms

i use carbon fiber regularly as far as strength goes carbon fiber comes in different weave patterns and thicknesses.and there are different types of resins for different applications it is stronger than steel by weight and can be strengthened even more by laying it up with fiberglass or kevlar. carbon fiber doesnot shatter it splinters and yes it is sharp. its storong enough and light enough that there are prototype "real" vehicle chassis in development now
Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

I believe the Bugatti veyron part of its cockpit is CF. There is also a new procedure that is being done called Forged Composite http://www.carbonfibergear.com/what-...-carbon-fiber/ and Lamborghini has made a car mostly of CF http://www.reinforcedplastics.com/vi...e-concept-car/

Great thing about forged CF is that its much cheaper to make than the old fashion way. And if car manufacturers take advantage of this new procedure and replace urethane bumpers and such with them that way less oil is used somewhere. Big challenge is what to make tires out of because they also require oil to be produced.