MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Buy 50th Anniv Mustang or Upgrade '01 Stang? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/619578-buy-50th-anniv-mustang-or-upgrade-01-stang.html)

01Stangconvt 10-08-2010 07:54 PM

Buy 50th Anniv Mustang or Upgrade '01 Stang?

I don't know if I should buy the 50th anniversary Mustang or upgrade my 2001 Mustang GT convertible in a couple years. If I bought the 50th Anniversary Mustang I would not sell my old car but would have to store it long term out of state. Since the new car will be pricey I am thinking that I can save a ton of money and spend a fraction making my 2001 Mustang GT “like new”.

The 2001 Mustang GT has 60K original miles and it is the Premium/Deluxe edition: automatic transmission with leather, power seats, and the Mach 460 sound system. I have upgraded the car to include the K&N cold air intake kit and a flowmaster exhaust. I installed a 2001 Bullet instrument cluster and Ford bullet style racing pedals. Everything else is stock.

Has anyone decided to keep their car and pour money into upgrades to extend its life? If so, please give me some good suggestions on what you did and was it worth keeping the old car or should you have bought new?

Harryman2002 10-08-2010 08:25 PM

You cant really make that decision yet because no one really knows anything about the 2014 mustangs.
I would say hold out if you really want one because those will probably be pretty amazing cars but for right now you cant really say since ford hasn't released any details of the car yet and still probably wont for awhile.

gif4445 10-08-2010 09:23 PM

^^^Agreed, way too early to tell

945LSTANG 10-09-2010 11:11 AM

what do you mean "like new?" if you mean a restoration, you are either crazy, dumb, or both. you own a car that is a dime a dozen and not much value will be restored after all is said and done. all you'll have to show for it is a cleaner car and a lighter wallet.

gif4445 10-09-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG (Post 7236356)
what do you mean "like new?" if you mean a restoration, you are either crazy, dumb, or both. you own a car that is a dime a dozen and not much value will be restored after all is said and done. all you'll have to show for it is a cleaner car and a lighter wallet.

I get the whole dime a dozen thing, but in another decade they won't be. Everyday, there is one that is totaled and will never be restored, plus the ones that are just treated like ****. I just see my cousins 68' 289ci and think it was probably cool back then, just not spectacular like new edge GT's, but in 30 years our GT's if taken good care of, could be pretty sweet.

Just my 2 cents man.

945LSTANG 10-09-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 7236360)
I get the whole dime a dozen thing, but in another decade they won't be. Everyday, there is one that is totaled and will never be restored, plus the ones that are just treated like ****. I just see my cousins 68' 289ci and think it was probably cool back then, just not spectacular like new edge GT's, but in 30 years our GT's if taken good care of, could be pretty sweet.

Just my 2 cents man.

no guarantees there will ever be a market for one though. when it comes down to it, its just not worth the risk. nobody can predict whats going to happen down the road.

and in another 10 years, there will still be plenty of new edges cruising around. you still see plenty of foxes dont you? they aren't fetching jack in the market...even fully restored. just saying...

gif4445 10-09-2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG (Post 7236363)
no guarantees there will ever be a market for one though. when it comes down to it, its just not worth the risk. nobody can predict whats going to happen down the road.

and in another 10 years, there will still be plenty of new edges cruising around. you still see plenty of foxes dont you? they aren't fetching jack in the market...even fully restored. just saying...

You're exactly right, there is no guarantee. And because his car is still a relatively low mileage car, i would wait until it absolutely needs a restoration.

I actually do not see foxes driving around, very odd i know.

945LSTANG 10-09-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gif4445 (Post 7236369)
You're exactly right, there is no guarantee. And because his car is still a relatively low mileage car, i would wait until it absolutely needs a restoration.

I actually do not see foxes driving around, very odd i know.

well i don't see foxes driving around all the time, but our local mustang crew is filled with them.

to be honest with you, the OP could just do a real thorough cleaning on the car and get a similar result to what he is looking for without spending near as much coin. it would just take a serious time commitment.

Harryman2002 10-09-2010 11:29 AM

Either way, he cant make a decision for his question until the 2014 specs are released which wont be for awhile.

fidelcastrol 10-09-2010 11:34 AM

Ain't no telling what the dollar will be worth in 2014 it might cost 50 large for a GT, I remember when the Fox GT was 16 large fully loaded.