4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mustang letting me down!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Things just get old and stop working as well too--I am living proof of that...
Can i sig that
Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

Ok just had the locksmith here to fix the PATS thing a majiger.... Welll hes getting a code ECU not found he doesnt know what that exacly means do you? It also says no keys are programed to the car? HELP PLZ!!!!!!!!....lol
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bignickwaite
Ok just had the locksmith here to fix the PATS thing a majiger.... Welll hes getting a code ECU not found he doesnt know what that exacly means do you? It also says no keys are programed to the car? HELP PLZ!!!!!!!!....lol
Did he have Ford's IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System), or another brand of key programming system (there are several companies that make key programming systems)?

I ask because the key programmers are built to program keys on a working system, not to be diagnostic tools--I suspect you are going to have to get the Ford tool on there to see what's going on.

On the newer PATS the number of keys programmed is stored in the cluster electronics. Do you still have the old cluster? If so you may want to install it and see what happens.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

Not sure which one he has he said he just bought it and it was $9000.00 Big ones
Its a PATS Tool i know that much its not for diagnostic except for PATS. and no, No original cluster. I dont think it has anything to do with the cluster because i never had this problem till recently , and i put the cluster in 4 months ago.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Yeah, that's what they cost--a cheap one is $5k, top-of-the-line will raise heck with $20k.

If it's not the cluster then it's wiring and/or a bad ECU (PCM in Fordspeak). At this point a cheap (or at least cheaper) way out may be to get a cluster and PCM from a bone yard--get them from both from the same vehicle; get the transceiver antenna, and a matching key too if you can.

On other possibility would be to get the PCM reprogrammed with PATS turned off--I have never done this on a PATS locked vehicle, however I think it could be done with the PCM out and sitting on a bench in a test fixture. I'll ask around and see if I can find someone that would like to give it a shot.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

You can reprogram the key yourself. I've done it on mine. sxynerd has a write up for it http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,44564.0.html
If that doesn't work, you could always get an SCT chip or a handheld tuner and have PATS turned off and not have to worry about it ever again.

Also, somebody earlier mentioned a fuel rail pressure sensor...we don't have one since our system is a return system. Also, our instrument clusters don't have circuit boards on them so there is no need to worry about swapping it over with a new cluster.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

Got the key fixed now but now back to the original problem that i was having before the pats locked up. The car starts running like crap at any given time could be 2 miles but no more than 30 miles. to the point it bog's out whenever its under a load. i brought it to ford for there $80. diagnostic and all they found was the motor mounts were gone and the tranny mount was gone and the outer tie-rods were bad. there telling me from the vibration the car is doing what its doing and mess the motor up from it shaking and its what the cause is... does this sound pluasable? ..oh ye they want $2300.00 to fix it LMAO!!!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I doubt thats it, but I dont blame the $2300 job. I know the engine mounts are $50 each and a special order item through local auto parts stores. I had to replace mine when I was doing my LT's and lets just say, Im happy I did it then. The trans mount is a joke to replace.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM
bignickwaite
2nd Gear Member

Yea I just picked it up from ford they said after letting them know I'm not your average 90 year old woman that the motor is sitting on the frame, the mounts are completely gone. Which causes a tremendous amount of vibration to the motor which can short out wires throw off the balance of the motor when you turn the corner or get on it. It seems it could be part of the problem to me. Its also not throwing any codes or anything.