4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Power steering and clutch slippage

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM
lordfenix13

Unhappy Power steering and clutch slippage

First post, here goes

I've got a 96 cobra here, and I've got a few questions;

First off, do these cars have some sort of weakness in the power steering systems? I've had the car for two years, and blown two power steering pumps (doing donuts both times of course :P ). If there's not some sort factory fault, what would cause this? If I'm beating on it too hard, is there an aftermarket pump that somebody could recommend that may be able to withstand the punishment?

Second, I was driving along the other day, and my clutch VERY suddenly started to slip. I'm not talking small slippage either, I'm talking barely drivable slippage. In my experience with previous cars, the clutch tends to start slipping gradually at first, before it totally becomes catostrophic.

I had somebody take a look at the car, and he seems to think that the power steering fluid (which is running all over the bottom of the car) may have somehow fouled my clutch face. Is this even possible? I've heard of it happening with oil, but I wasn't aware that there was a way for power steering fluid to leak into the bellhousing like that.

Any insight on this issue would be great!

Also, didn't know if I should post this here or in general tech, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
lordfenix13

hmm, nobody has any thoughts on this?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome...Moved for better results! ... GL
Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by lordfenix13
hmm, nobody has any thoughts on this?
I do, now sure you want to hear it, but here goes:

You did something silly--twice--that the car was never designed to do (placing steering gear up against a hard stop with the engine revving at high speed), and blew the power steering pump.

There may be some higher rated pump, IDK--however there's no such thing as a mechanical device that can withstand punishment. By definition that would be pushing the device beyond it's limits.

In any event there is a very simple and inexpensive solution--don't do that...

It it possible that the clutch got saturated with p/s fluid, the bell housing is not sealed that tightly. I have never known a clutch to all of a sudden start slipping badly; they usually give you plenty of warning.

You may be able to remove the cover from where the cable end links to the throwout lever and see something through the hole...