4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Now I have the freedom but what to do?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Default Now I have the freedom but what to do?

Ok here is whats going on right now. I just got the wife a new ride (keeping her old one for my DD) and since I'm doing that she said I can do whatever I want to my car! (mistake on her part but shh I wont tell if you don't)

Anyways I was wanting to push around 550hp. Now I know the stock bottom end wont hold that kind of power so should I just buy a short block or buy a bottom end and use my block? (Was reading some where the stock block was good for around 1000hp?) If you all say I should get a new short block what do you think about maybe dropping a 331 stroker in there? Or what about maybe a 5.4 since I wouldnt have to change any of the wiring? Price isnt anything I'm worried about. I'm going to take my time on the car.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Easier and cheaper to just buy an mmr block unless ur doing all labor rebuilding ur lower. I wouldn't bother with a stroker or 5.4 ur HP goals are very easy to get with a 4.6 its added cost to go fancy for no real reason except "cool factor".
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks for Suggestiong MMR hadnt looked at em before but the look to be pretty solid. Is anyone using MMR short blocks right now and if you are how did they treat you? Everything been pretty solid since?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I think its safe to say that 90% of people that purchase a pre-assembled forged shortblock go with MMR, highly reputable company.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

+1 a lot of people use mmr. As far as the power goals your gonna need a serious fuel system an upgraded drivetrain and some kind of f/i and of course suspension.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Definitely prioritize budget/goals/etc.

If you want 550rwhp (which is what my current goal is) I'd go with something like this...

MMR 900 Built Short Block
MHS Stage 3 Ported PI heads
CMS Stage 3 Blower Cams
Kenne Bell 2.6Blowzilla
The Fuel System to support it & a great tune

Suspension wise -
These other guys can help you w/ that more in depth but I'd go with coilovers, tubular K member, 31spline axles, cut stock rear springs, Bilstein struts...

Then I'd make sure I had one hell of a good tire setup so I could have some fun w/ it!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT

If you want 550rwhp (which is what my current goal is) I'd go with something like this...

CMS Stage 3 Blower Cams
Kenne Bell 2.6Blowzilla

Suspension wise -
These other guys can help you w/ that more in depth but I'd go with coilovers, tubular K member, 31spline axles, cut stock rear springs, Bilstein struts...

Then I'd make sure I had one hell of a good tire setup so I could have some fun w/ it!!!!!!
the MMR 900 is what I am going to go with myself. before I touch my motor though I'm going to be getting a new paint job since my car is busted up right now (runs good but looks like crap) and I can't stand that. Right now I know what I want and I'm adding up prices so I can put together a buget
I've not really looked at the MHS heads but I have been looking at trickflow twisted wedge. I've had trickflow products in the back and I've not had any problems with em in the past.

I've noticed on this board everyone always talks about cutting there stock springs. Is there a reason why cut stock springs are better then after market or just cheaper?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT

CMS Stage 3 Blower Cams
Kenne Bell 2.6Blowzilla

Suspension wise -

i wouldnt. stage 3 heads and cams is overkill for someone only wanting 550hp. doing heads and cams that high just to do it is going to hurt daily driving just to have potential that may never even be touched.

and to ^, its free to cut your springs vers buying springs just to do the same job of cutting your stockers. thats why people do it.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N

and to ^, its free to cut your springs vers buying springs just to do the same job of cutting your stockers. thats why people do it.
That is about what I thought.

Anyone use the trickflow heads? Heard anything about em? I had the twisted wedge heads for a 306 a few years back and loved em. Just wondering if they were as good for the 4.6 as they was for the 5.0
Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

they are the best bar none. but to take REAL advantage of them you need some very aggressive cams and be revving to the moon. if you aren't doing that, theres no point in spending the extra $, you will see just as good of results with some ported PI heads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now I have the freedom but what to do?