4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Forced CAI idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I think it would work for JUST idling temps to keep outside air moving in. Other than that, air is coming in from the outside pretty steady. Even with a "ram air intake" Which is an open filter in teh engine bay i was still recording basically ambient temps while moving.
yea i have a RAI and I was thinking of how under spirited driving loads the engine would start to get pretty hot and even with that plastic shield around the cone the it might warm up the air around the cone, but since you obtained some data proving that it stays pretty ambient than my theory is wrong.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
maybe you should read what i posted which clearly states i was trying to keep cool air in the intake not suck it as a via FI hooked on phonics doesn't work for everyone. Although my title, now after I have read it again, is misleading to what my real question was.

It was just an idea that I was curious about and asked to gain some knowledge but I clearly see it just leads to instant bashing.
Dude, really?! I was picking on hoss cus me and him are turbo junkies. For there to be any added pressure it would have to be a closed system and have a super great fan to compress the air and not blow up. Saying I don't know how to read is just ignorant.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Dude, really?! I was picking on hoss cus me and him are turbo junkies. For there to be any added pressure it would have to be a closed system and have a super great fan to compress the air and not blow up. Saying I don't know how to read is just ignorant.
my apologies but when reading it and the way it was written made it seem like it was aimed towards me. I just hate it when people have questions and everyone bashes on them. There is no ignorance I posted something and you made it seemed like you read it the wrong way, don't get offended .

Last edited by MineralGrey; 10-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

MineralGrey, do you have access to datalogging software? If so load intake temps noramlly then install the fan idea you had and see if you temp drops. Since no one has honestly done this expirement no one will really know untill some one attempts it and has data to back it up saying, "yes it works, dropped 5 degrees in temperature on a back to back test and heres my data."

Nothing wrong with asking questions, I made a RAI out of 4 inch air ducting but I had to remove my fog light... It helped reduce temps by ~5-7degrees but wasn't worth the loss of my fogs IMO. It was worth the attempt though both in experience and knowledge for the future. Good luck man.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
MineralGrey, do you have access to datalogging software? If so load intake temps noramlly then install the fan idea you had and see if you temp drops. Since no one has honestly done this expirement no one will really know untill some one attempts it and has data to back it up saying, "yes it works, dropped 5 degrees in temperature on a back to back test and heres my data."

Nothing wrong with asking questions, I made a RAI out of 4 inch air ducting but I had to remove my fog light... It helped reduce temps by ~5-7degrees but wasn't worth the loss of my fogs IMO. It was worth the attempt though both in experience and knowledge for the future. Good luck man.
yea i have a diablo predator im pretty sure you can datalog with it but i would have to do some light reading on how to run the program and what not. The only reason I though it might work was because several people on and off the forums had mentioned that once you get to a certain speed the air travels right over small openings like our hood scoops for example, and I was curious if it passed over the fog light area I could use a fan to draw some of that cool air in. Its just a theory, if I have money to spend and some spare time I might try it out and see. You can talk about it all day long but you'll never know unless you do it and get raw data.