4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tire questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

lol I don't figure 810+ dollars for tires to be cutting it cheap And I am not to concerned with front tires as I will most likely only be hitting up the 1/4mile and not hitting twisties. I think the 555 up front and the nt05 out back will be more than enough. I know I could get better rears for the power I am making but, I don't want some drag radial that costs over 300 bucks and only lasts and oil change and then a few miles lol. I don't plan to track but a few times a year at local strips. I respect your opinion jazzer as always. I just don't think its relevant to my goals. The NT05 non R model is used by lots of people that want a middle ground between a DR and street tire is it not?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I spend $1600+ for a full set of tires and do so on two sets (one for Winter and one for Summer on separate wheels). Hell of a lot of money, but don't have anywhere near the HP level as you (I am figuring, anyway). This is your car and your budget, so you need to make it work, but don't go thinkin' because you don't take fast corners, you are not in need of a tire that holds the ground. If you are going around a moddest corner, such as a freeway on-ramp, and you get into the throttle to accelerate past that Camaro that is trying to take "your" lane... you need grip. You can do whatever you want, but just remember your tires need maintain grip on the road to not only get you to high speed, but slow you down from it as well!

How much is grip worth to you?

Jazzer
Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Lol Jazzer all the things I have read seems to point is that these tires will do great. I don't even have my front sway bar on lol. I take it easy on curves and don't do anything to really push the car. I figure for the amount of money upgrades will cost to make my suspension a corner carver will by more than it's worth. Right now at least. I had ALOT better income between my spouse and I while we were stationed in Alaska. That's how I afforded the upgrades. Now I am being stationed in New Mexico and will be taking a pay cut between the both of us of at least 50%. Maybe one day when the car is payed off I will really get into suspension and tires.

BUT, to be honest I think once I finally get into carving some corners it will be in a pre-owned BMW 135i Down the road of course when I can afford another payment lol. I'm not trying to cheap out on tires. I am honestly trying to get the best performing tires for my use and needs that will offer a decent tread life. And Thanks for all of your guys help. I feel comfortable with the selection I have made.