4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

1st time ever to the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:29 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt2010
Exactly! Now if only drag strips weren't bothered by snow/cold weather. Oh well, guess a couple months down time just means a couple months of upgrade time.
Gives you some time to work on the car and get it ready for next year. It will give you something to look forward to. If you end up sticking with it, maybe you can come back next year with a set of nice tires, a couple suspension mods and be low 13s!!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

never made it to d42 but might get to before year is over .. and yes it is addicting as hell
Old 10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Finally you get to drive your car like you want to without having to worry about killing little kids or getting a ticket/arrested!! Plus you can actually gauge whether or not you are getting better at driving.
I'm 38 years old I have a young child and do not believe in street racing! Way too dangerous, and foolish! Wish younger people would take it to the track! When I was in my mid 20's I had a 86 grand national, got arrested for racing and beating a Mustang! Last time I raced on the road!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt2010
Nice runs! Amazing how addicting running down a simple 1/4 stretch can be, isnt it?
Yup! And thanks for the complement on my run! My friend with a 2007 V6 auto with cai, tune and true duals ran a 14.4 That sold me on CAI(JlT) and Tune (AM custom tune) my number was leaving the tree at idle, I was told today I should be leaving the line at 2500 rpms for better times!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

The more you do it the better you will get at it. The best I've ever gotten is a 14.2 @97 nothing to bragg about but after so many weekends here and there of going to test and tune nights I just counted my slips the other night and i have 32 you kinda get hooked into it. Safer than doing it on the streets though.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

I bet you could have gotten into the 13's without your friend in the car.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
I'm 38 years old I have a young child and do not believe in street racing! Way too dangerous, and foolish! Wish younger people would take it to the track! When I was in my mid 20's I had a 86 grand national, got arrested for racing and beating a Mustang! Last time I raced on the road!
I know what you mean. I had my "younger days" behind the wheel too, as most people do. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't hurt myself or anyone else in the process. I don't bash people that street race, but I know that it is just not worth it from a legal or safety standpoint.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

next time should be alot better! everyone always gets the big adrenaline rush during their first time at the track. once you get that out of your system you'll be able to concentrate a little more. looking forward to see some more slips!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
gt2010
1st Gear Member

tbird- thats what I'm hoping for, well plus a vortech if everything comes together right.

My1stic, where do you normally run at? D42 is actually about hour and a half away from me, it just happens to be the closest I could find that ran on friday night.

ConeJo, I totally agree on the street racing thing. I'm 18, and admittedly I've "raced" a couple times (especially a couple years ago when I first got my GT) when I couldn't stand the idea of being passed by friends in litttle I4 cars. Here recently though, I can't even stand riding with people that fly around blind curves and over hills. I mean sure, at night you can see headlights, but no body seems to think that a kid or anyone really could possibly walk out in the road, and guess what... they dont have headlights! So yeah, keeping it on the track is the only safe way.

Rockwell, it seems like they probably build up pretty fast. And hey, depending on the people your around a lot, it might not be much to brag about on here, but it probably beats them! Thats how I'm looking at mine anyways.

Harryman, I was going to do a solo run to find out, but they closed the staging lanes right about when I was picking up my last slip.

Kugz, I sure hope so, I was trying to help myself concentrate this time by listening to The Wall by Pink Floyd in the staging lanes, but it wasn't helping a whole lot. I did actually manage to pay attention to my launch though, unfortunately I bogged it.

Does anyone lower their tire pressures in street tires for the track? Or just leave them at normal pressures. I left mine up around 35psi or so, would lowering it a little bit help with grip?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

what kind of tires are you running? i have these crappy sumitomos, so i take mine down to around 15-20psi when im at the track

edit: pink floyd is where its at btw

Quick Reply: 1st time ever to the track