4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

School me on some fuel.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Sounds good, also, maybe as the help starts pouring through we can begin having situations.....For example, I know that Kugz is doing a setup quite differently from mine, and I know he needs some help on this. Same with Dwjtr and so on.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

YEP, Teej hit it on the spot along with someone else who posted. Sit down and REALLY decide a realistic expectation for what you want for performance, then over do it.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

not meaning to steal your thread purp, but im shooting for 400-20 rwhp
Old 10-27-2010, 09:58 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

the best way to find knowledge about something is experiance. get some tuning software, i like sniper, and start with your stock car and begin looking at all parameters. as you mod the car, look and adknowledge the changes in them. then you will be able to understand anything about your car you want
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Cuz i mean ik abou the pumps and injectors...but what about lines and such?? The tank?

And what about return/returnless style fuel systems? Which is better for high hp?

Good thread purp!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

First thing you should know is that there are 2 main types of fuel systems, return style and returnless. Return is a lot simpler and a lot easier to tune, where your pumps are running full on all the time and fuel pressure is controlled by a regulator and return lines are run back to the fuel tank so all the unused fuel can be stored again. Returnless uses electronics to set fuel parameters such as how much fuel is needed and pumps are not run full on all the time. And when multiple pumps start being used, you need extra Fuel Pump Driver Modules(FPDM for short) or an Mega Driver Module(MDM for short) or MDM Jr to help drive the extra pumps.

Now dwtjr, for you I would suggest maybe looking at a Ford GT Supercar pump as a focus pump, from what we've been seeing lately, may not be enough for those power numbers through an auto. Look at soldier, he has 386 and is maxing out his focus pump. For those numbers, i'd think that 42lb injectors or 39lb injectors out of a cobra are going to be just fine for you. Also, swap over to either a lightning 90mm maf or something like an SCT BA2600 maf. Other than that, the fuel lines and fuel rails will be fine for your power level. Same goes for anyone looking to max the stock longblock.

For those wanting 450-600rwhp, you'll be needing twin GT pumps with an MDM Jr or dual FPDM's, or twin Walbro GSS342 pumps for a returnless, bigger lines wouldn't be a bad thing, new rails wouldnt be either, and injectors would be safe to keep to 60lb injectors, or towards the upper end of that spectrum, going to 72's.

600+rwhp, you'll want to go triple pump, whether its triple GT supercar pumps or triple Walbro GSS342 pumps for returnless, you will need upgraded fuel lines, upgrade the fuel rails, and will need at least 72lb injectors. When you get up over 700rwhp you should probably start looking to go 80lb injectors. Its when most get to this kinda power and then want to start looking at E85 as a fuel source, so there you gotta run 80's for mid 600's to 700rwhp and then i'd start looking to go up to like a 90-105lb injector.

Mind you this is all street car kinda stuff. External pumps are another option. But with the excess noise, i dont think i'd wanna run one of those on the streets.

Return style is great for high hp builds and is a lot easier to tune. And lines and rails, in my opinion, should be upgraded when you build the motor. Stock longblock stuff doesnt need new rails or lines, but when you build the motor, get new braided lines and new rails.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Here is a thread I made a while back about our fuel system. Sounds like it would really help you out: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...questions.html

In short, it doesn't matter what kind of power adder you have, setting up your fuel system is the same. With 400hp your only concerns are the fuel pump and injectors, fuel rails and fuel lines are good for more power.

What I did when searching around on this topic was PM'd the people I knew who had upgraded their fuel system and asked them what they upgraded to. It gave me a good idea of what works for those power ranges.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

OK heres two situations -

Stock motor, longtubes, vortech S trim, CMS stage 1's - What is the most optimal fuel setup to reach 400-430rwhp?

Sitch #2 -

Stock motor, 61mm turbo kit - Optimal fuel setup to reach 400-430rwhp?

Are there different fuel requirements needed for different F/I setups?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Most people just run a Focus pump, KB BAP and 42 injectors. That is one option, there are plenty other ways to get the fuel there.

If both your goals are for 400-430hp, the fuel needed will be the same so you can run the same fuel setup.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Would a ford gt supercar pump be a better idea than a focus pump and a bap? I think it would be. But yea, lines and rails need replaced when you build you bottom end and start adding power. But one must also take into consideration the maf as well.

Quick Reply: School me on some fuel.....