4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Thumbs up N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!

Hello,

I am looking to get a car that I can use for work and back and also that my girlfriend can use. Budget is tight with $7500 max. I reviewed all the cars within this segment and the 01-04 Mustang GT Coupe Auto is perfect. 2 doors, sweet looks, and once I throw an exhaust on there I can ride all day with the windows down. I have a couple of questions.

Reliability: honestly, how reliable is the Stang? Are there any problems I will have to look out for? Can I just start her up, run her all day long and enjoy her or will it be headaches? I'm looking for a low maintenance car.

Modability: I'm not looking to make this thing a drag car or to win the street races (That's what my GT-R is for ). I'm a hp junkie though and I'll be driving a mustang so I still would like to beat up on the occassional BMW or Subaru. My thoughts were simple bolt-on mods like exhaust, CAI, ecu programming, and possible a 75 shot of nitrous? I have a good nitrous kit sitting in my garage and if the motor and tranny can SAFELY handle some spray then I'd love to get it installed. Again, I'm not looking to break records or win money on the streets but it'd be nice for a grudge match for the sh*t-talkers or if I run into an opponent on the highway. If I could get the car to run like low 13's or break into the 12's I'd be very happy. Otherwise, high 13's with bolt-ons and a tune would be fine as long as reliability is not compromised.

Comfort: How comfortable are these cars? I know they come standard with leather seats. Is it really a POS and will creak and rattle all day long or is it pretty solid? I've heard the suspension is hard but maybe that's because people aren't used to sports cars?

Handling: Can this car take turns or is it in the danger zone if it faces some lateral G-forces?

That's about it for now. I'm hoping to test drive one today or tomorrow. You're answers will definitely help me in my decision.

THANKS!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 AM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Mustangs are very reliable cars, given they are cared for properly. I know of many cases of them going well over 200,000 miles when cared for.

My roommate beats on his like a red headed step child, 160,000 miles and runs like new.

As for modability, Mustangs respond very well to modifications. Others more than some, but a CAI, exhaust, and a tune will net you a noticeable difference and won't break the bank. Also, to my understanding these motors will easily handle a small shot of nitrous, they're built very well.

These threads may be of interest to you:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...et-vid-up.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...04-4-6-2v.html

Actually...Just check this whole thing out, it's really useful information:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ted-often.html

Comfort is in the eye of the beholder. I have a '98 GT with leather seats, I think it's very comfortable. Just keep in mind that a Mustang is a sports car and not a Cadillac, it's not going to be an amazing ride, but it's not horrible either.

I'm not much into taking fast turns, so I don't have much of an opinion to offer on that, though I'm sure the replies and advice will be plentiful.

Overall, a Mustang is what it is. It's a lower budget sports car, they're fast and handle well, also the aftermarket parts are almost limitless. It's not going to be as fast and hug the road like that C6 Corvette in your signature, not stock anyways, but it also costs a minuscule amount of money in comparison.

If you want an affordable, street-able daily driver car that will whoop up on practically all other street cars, go for it!

Last edited by PovertyPony; 10-28-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Great response! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks! Any more?

Originally Posted by PovertyPony
Mustangs are very reliable cars, given they are cared for properly. I know of many cases of them going well over 200,000 miles when cared for.

My roommate beats on his like a red headed step child, 160,000 miles and runs like new.

As for modability, Mustangs respond very well to modifications. Others more than some, but a CAI, exhaust, and a tune will net you a noticeable difference and won't break the bank. Also, to my understanding these motors will easily handle a small shot of nitrous, they're built very well.

This thread may be of interest to you:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...et-vid-up.html

Comfort is in the eye of the beholder. I have a '98 GT with leather seats, I think it's very comfortable. Just keep in mind that a Mustang is a sports car and not a Cadillac, it's not going to be an amazing ride, but it's not horrible either.

I'm not much into taking fast turns, so I don't have much of an opinion to offer on that, though I'm sure the replies and advice will be plentiful.

Overall, a Mustang is what it is. It's a lower budget sports car, they're fast and handle well, also the aftermarket parts are almost limitless. It's not going to be as fast and hug the road like that C6 Corvette in your signature, not stock anyways, but it also costs a minuscule amount of money in comparison.

If you want an affordable, street-able daily driver car that will whoop up on practically all other street cars, go for it!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 AM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Check out my post edit, that whole thread there is loaded with good information when it comes to expanding the capabilities of your modular Mustang. It'll give you a ballpark estimate on what mods will net you what numbers.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Originally Posted by PovertyPony
Check out my post edit, that whole thread there is loaded with good information when it comes to expanding the capabilities of your modular Mustang. It'll give you a ballpark estimate on what mods will net you what numbers.
Excellent! Thank you.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Sure thing, and good luck finding the perfect Mustang!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Reliability: If you perform regular maintenance and don't rev it to 8k, it will last longer than you want it to...

Mod: 4.10 gears, some good tires/suspension mods and you'll be set. Don't bother with an aftermarket cai, the stock intake is very good. Bolt-ons will not get you very far on a GT motor. (2v as compared to the motor in the mach 1/cobras have 4v)

My gf has a stock 98 m3 convertable, w/ 4.10s you'll take one down with no problem.

Comfortably: It is a sports car. It's a soft ride compared to other sports cars (eclipses and m3s from my past experience). I have stiffer springs and aftermarket shocks/struts and I still wish it was stiffer. I like a very, very stiff ride. The stock seats suck for performance, but overall very nice for a DD.

Handling: Stock suspension on the GTs isn't the best, it can be fixed cheaply and quickly.

These are really great cars. Check out some other threads on the forum (search function), I'm sure you'll be able to find practically any other information you need. For the price you're looking to pay, you can surely find a very nice mustang. Good luck! Lets see some pics of the GT-R!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

All good answers so far I'm really excited now. Supposed to get a test drive today. I hope it's in good condition...

I have some GT-R pics but don't know how to upload them to this forum...
EDIT: nevermind here's one, not too great but you get the idea

Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM
ItalianStallionGTR

Can't edit now lol but I think this one works...

Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Ooo, shiny~

Quick Reply: N00B with Questions B4 I Buy!