4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Turbo guys, looking for some info.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default Turbo guys, looking for some info.

Guys I am leaning more and more towards ordering an on3 setup.

The engine is entirely stock, transmission is a t56 out of a termie, IRS has 3.73's and my future goals (with a built motor and if I'll ever get there I dunno) is 500 rwhp/tq and still have it streetable/dd.

The turbo kit will be ran at relatively low psi until I can save up enough for a new motor + fuel system. I will for sure be upgrading hoses/clamps before install. The car is DD so driveability and dependability trumps power.

I am unsure of a few things;

1) Whether it will be a good idea to upgrade the turbo to the turbonetics 70mm or leave the turbo alone and purchase a 67mm?
2) Tial BOV/Wastegate (Y/N)? or other brand and why?
3) Which MAF should I look into??
4) Injector size? (again not looking for big numbers, just something dependable/reliable.)
5) Should I go for the focus fuel pump? kennebell BAP? both? (power level will most likely not be anywhere near or over 350rwhp/tq)

Last part of this is I will most likely be buying/installing the gauges first(I like the aem digital gauges). What gauges should I get (A/F wideband, boost gauge, and oil-pressure), how should I mount them? I am looking for something that is inconspicuous.

Thank you so much in advance, any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:13 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Man, you really are considering this haha, As far as a focus fuel pump, I know soldier gt recently had trouble with his when he had his s/c installed and dyno'd, so based on what I've read I'd suggest a kennebell Bap. Injectors I'd guess 42lbs wouldn't be too major, someone with more knowledge please chime in on this.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 AM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

NGK tr6 plugs gaped at .034, 42# injectors, KB boost a pump, 90mm MAF. I would start with that. It works well on my car with 10#s of boost. PS: good tune by SCT.....

Last edited by muzzy; 10-30-2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: new word
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM
TheCrimzonKnight
3rd Gear Member

Take a look at these guys: http://ponydown.com/newcatalog/index.php way better things have been said about them then the on3 kit.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:32 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I'd look into turbochargedinnovation.com, that's who some of MHS's customers have used with great success, it comes with a quality turbo, MAF, and wastegate, so you shouldn't have to worry about upgrading.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Turbocharged innovation ftmfgdw!!! Comes with a precision billet wheel 67mm turbo, 2000* matte black coating on the inside and out of the hot side piping and polished aluminum cold side. You already have the tubular k, but nigh need to modify that to fit the piping. And I'd suggest going 60's for injector so you have room to grow, gt supercar pump, and then for maf the pmas maf's are awesome. The turbocharged innovations kit is an awesome kit. Well priced for what it is and has a KILLER turbo in the kit.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Turbocharged innovation ftmfgdw!!! Comes with a precision billet wheel 67mm turbo, 2000* matte black coating on the inside and out of the hot side piping and polished aluminum cold side. You already have the tubular k, but nigh need to modify that to fit the piping. And I'd suggest going 60's for injector so you have room to grow, gt supercar pump, and then for maf the pmas maf's are awesome. The turbocharged innovations kit is an awesome kit. Well priced for what it is and has a KILLER turbo in the kit.
interesting, that is a pretty good price for already coated pipes and tial bov/wg, I'll need to look for the threads with their turbos then.

I am trying to keep the gauges as simple as possible without going overboard. Will AEM wideband a/f, oil pressure, and boost gauge be all I need or should I look into others? and if so how would you guys mount them? I am looking at the steering column pod cluster that holds 3.

Edit: After reading the reviews on the guy, great kit but I see there is an issue with actually getting the kit to customers.. I don't want to have to deal with waiting for a year after my money is taken to get my kit. I do like his kit a lot but in a years worth of time I'd have enough to pick up a hellion kit.

Last edited by Aereon; 10-30-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:56 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Whoa, Aereon, where did you see those reviews on Turbocharged Innovations?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Whoa, Aereon, where did you see those reviews on Turbocharged Innovations?
theres a whole thread going on in modular fords, 2-3 of the guys paid sometime in 09 and still don't have their things yet. Even though I am sure they are a relatively low amount of people compared to the many happy customers they have. But I am still not wanting to risk it.. I am a full time student and work full time, I work hard as hell for what little mod money I have and do not want to go through that feeling as I have dealt with it before (bought a set of cobra seats that didnt ship for almost 6 months..)
Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb

The On3Performance Turbo Kit has to be the one of the worst turbo
kits on the market today.In my research I found that the On3Performance
Turbo Kit has terrible fitment and the quality is poor.
Also the customer service at On3Performance is absolutely horrible.

If your purchasing a turbo kit get a Hellion turbo kit instead.
Excellent quality and fitment and top notch customer service also.

www.hellionpowersystems.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo guys, looking for some info.