4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Random topic of the day: How well has your Stang done in the test of time?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

i dont think ive ever seen a pic of your stang other than your shifter cliff. i ****ing love those decals on your fenders i haven't seen those done on any other stang.

i bought my car with 57k miles on it in 07. it now has about 80k miles. i have beat the holy crap out of it for those 43k miles. interior is holding up, aside from things my stupid a** screwed up (put my tire in the back seat when i got a flat cuz the full size wheel wouldnt fit in the trunk, now my tan leather back seats have huge rings from the tire rolling on them). exterior is holding up fine, with the exception of a few spots fading near the rear louvers that florida weather took its toll on (car was kept out side in florida until this year because i lived at the dorms then an apt complex with no covered parking). overall its holding up very nicely, and its paid off so i have no intention on selling it anytime soon.

things that have broke:

nothing until the past 3 months. in the past 3 months my fuel pump has gone out, my radiator cracked, and my battery took a dump. nothing major, just pissed me off that everything seems to be taking a dump at once. but 80k miles it is "expected" to have some stuff start taking a crap on you.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Those are "chevrons"; red, white, and blue--but the blue doesn't show up well.

Years ago when we did team racing the cars were identical and we used different coloured chevrons to ID the cars as they went 'round and hit the pits...
Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Well for my 98......

Mechanically shes showing her age with 147k, On the to do list so far- Brakes, wheel bearing, ball joint, inner tie rod, battery/starter (troubleshooting pending), exhaust hangers, and a clutch coming in the next year.

Body shes still rough, to do list- paint, fix a couple dings, and fix the cowl.

Interior, lovely still. I have a small tear on the passenger seat from a quarter, but un-noticeable. The seats are wrinkled and worn in but still look good. The rest is still like factory, I only think the back seats have been sat in 5 times total.

For a DD I guess shes made it though a lot, but for my baby I wish I could do more and faster....
Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

My motor runs strong, it did burn some oil but solved that. The tranny just started leaking fluid, so that sucked a bit. But it was bound to happen after 101k miles. Seats were uncomfortable, but easily replaced.

The body is perfect with minor dings and scratches here and there, but nothing to actually fuss over. It shines to this day and the paint seems as if there has been no sun wearing.

All in all it is fun and it makes me smile everytime I get in it. It is the best and first car I have ever owned. And it only took 7 years for me to get this car (yes it is my first car).
Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Bought it new in June '04 and now she has 70K on her. Battery died after 5.5 years, followed by the clutch. She was an outdoor girl most of her life, including snowy days in MD. She's now a garage girl at night.

Paint is okay for her age, but the folks where I work cannot seem to navigate the parking area without tapping my rear bumper. The interior is excellent except for the wear on my seat and my floor mat.

If I can sell my other house, I'm looking to repaint next year. I'm seriously considering the Roush front with a heat extractor hood and some new side skirts. I just cannot decide.

Anyway, I still get compliments on her after six years.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I have had my car for ~13 months now and it has been nothing but headaches. Other than meeting some really cool people in the car scene it has been a terrible purchase. Worst part is that it's always broke or leaking something that it is never in selling condition, I mean for a price that I would be willing to sell it for.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:43 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

The car is borderline perfect. I got her about 4 years ago with only 7500 miles on it and now it has about 43,000 miles. It sat in the sun for the first 2-1/2 years, through all the elements -- rain, snow, hail, etc. -- and the paint is still in good shape. Has power when I need it but still gets 310 miles on a tank on long road trips, even with 4.10's and cruising 80-90.

Couldn't ask for a better car.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

My car has held up great, but will rattle apart one day due to all the suspension work

Interior looks like crap with all the little leaves and Elizabeths hair "threaded" through the seats. Motor is filthy and hasn't been cleaned a single time since I bought it back in June '06. The facia has some scars due to a misc. stuff I hit cuz it is soo damned low and has little orange and black marks due to hitting AX cones.

I LOVE it

I had an '85 GT for over 20 years and never one breakdown due to good maintenance of it for all that time. My current ride is treated the same way. Mechanically.... she is 100% sound, as this is my main concern.

Jazzer
Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N

i bought my car with 57k miles on it in 07. it now has about 80k miles. i have beat the holy crap out of it for those 43k miles.
WTF?

Math much?

I bought my '99 in '04 with 48K, now it has 96K

A **** load of stuff has gone wrong, broke, or just been acting ****ty with it over that time. But it looks pretty good, runs just as good as ever, and makes me smile just as much as ever.

And yes, I have had several people act surprised when I tell them that it's actually 12 years old now.

Would I do it again? Eh, 2v ftl, but it's been FUN FUN FUN
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
TheNameless
2nd Gear Member

I got a 02 MG GT that has 137k on the clock and no problems at all, i still slam the gears every now and then always clean (cuz of the color) but when its clean at nite under some lights at a gas station it looks soooo glosssy it always make my jaw drop just thinking in my head "damn this is my own ride" but yea i always get from people is your car brand new> I reply no its an 02 with 137k miles and there face expression is priceless. Just got to take good care of our cars thats all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Random topic of the day: How well has your Stang done in the test of time?