4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Might buy 2002 Mustang GT, has "Police Interceptor" badge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 PM
DLHunter

Default Might buy 2002 Mustang GT, has "Police Interceptor" badge?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and pretty new to Mustangs in general. I'm looking to get a Mustang GT, and I found a used one in my area. It's a 2002 GT Deluxe, dark gray with 100,000 miles. It's selling for $7998.

I went and gave it a little look over at the dealer (haven't driven it yet), and when I opened the hood, it had a "Police Interceptor" badge at the front of the engine bay. I didn't get a picture of it, unfortunately, but here is a picture of the engine with that part out of the frame to the bottom:

What does that mean? Is this not the stock motor, or are some of the parts non-stock?

Also, this Mustang has 100,000 miles on it. I won't be driving it a ton, as I only commute 3 miles each day, but what is the reliability like for 2002 Mustang GTs with that many miles? The car has only had one owner and the service has been done at the dealership.

A few more pictures:

Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

the owner probably put that there to make people think he had something special. although it could have had a blown motor, and the guy put a police interceptor motor in there which is exactly the same as your motor just less hp lol.but the car looks really clean. i would try to get them to come down on the price though. these cars will pretty much last forever if you maintain them right
Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

car does look extremely clean. the police interceptor badges could be any one of a dozen things. maybe the guy was a cop and that was his civ car, maybe motor blew and it was replaced with a CV (which may or may not be less horsepower, depends on the year and wheather or not he swapped heads if it was NPI), maybe he just did it to be cool, who knows.

only way your going to be able to tell whats really going on with the motor is get the numbers off the heads and the block itself and bounce em and figure out where they came from. better yet, get the dealer to do it before you buy it (and make sure they show you the paperwork to prove it).

hell also look at the carfax, could be something in there for the motor if it was indeed blown.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

its a really clean car but I think the price is high for those many miles....
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM
DLHunter

Thanks for the input. The price is actually a little lower than what KBB recommends for a car like this in "good" condition. I realize that doesn't mean much. I'll probably talk him down to $7,500 or maybe lower since I'm paying cash. Carfax is clean.

I'm currently driving a 2005 VW Jetta GLI. It's been a complete nightmare. I've poured thousands and thousands of dollars into this POS, and it only has 70,000 miles on it. I'll never own a VW again. I'm saving up to buy a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT, maybe even a Boss 302, but that'll be in two years or so. This is just to hold me over until then!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

The "police interceptor" badge are available from a dealer. there was no police mustang built aside from the fox body SSP's. I put a Police Interceptor emblem on my 04 V6 once. you wouldn't believe how many dumbasses tried to tell me I had a 351w with a blower.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

I bet someone just put the badge there just because.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkstarnes
its a really clean car but I think the price is high for those many miles....
Originally Posted by DLHunter
Thanks for the input. The price is actually a little lower than what KBB recommends for a car like this in "good" condition. I realize that doesn't mean much. I'll probably talk him down to $7,500 or maybe lower since I'm paying cash. Carfax is clean.

I'm currently driving a 2005 VW Jetta GLI. It's been a complete nightmare. I've poured thousands and thousands of dollars into this POS, and it only has 70,000 miles on it. I'll never own a VW again. I'm saving up to buy a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT, maybe even a Boss 302, but that'll be in two years or so. This is just to hold me over until then!

+1 man, thats WAYYY to high for the milage ESP if you are paying cash... i could see that at a dealership but i wouldn't give more than $6,500 cash for it, once a car rolls over 100k value decrease severly.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM
DLHunter

I'm planning to trade in my 05 GLI for it. It's worth, according to KBB, exactly the same amount as this Mustang. So, whether they give me $8,000 for my GLI and sell me the GT for $8,000, or they give me $6,000 and sell me the GT for $6,000, it's all the same. That's assuming they're willing to do a straight trade.

Best part about a trade like this: no sales tax.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM
DLHunter

Also, I could sell my GLI privately, but it has a few things wrong with it. My experience in the past is that dealer's are more willing to buy a car with a small problem or two since it costs them very little to fix it.

Quick Reply: Might buy 2002 Mustang GT, has "Police Interceptor" badge?