4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How do you guys race your cars?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
strider- what the point of raising my front tire psi?
Running a tire at a higher pressure means less resistance to rolling. It's the opposite when a tire is low on pressure (it's tougher to get rolling).

Don't air it up like there is no tomorrow, though. Be smart about it. For example, if normal is 32 psi, try 36 or so.

The actual benefit might not be that significant compared to just the normal psi, but its one of those 'little' things you can do to help decrease your time at the dragstrip.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I love autos and will take one always. Key thing for bracket racing.

And about the tire pressure situation, it's not going to hurt of help as much on a regular radial car.

You can stage at an angle to give you a longer rollout though giving you a little bit faster of times, not saying a whole lot, just maybe a couple hundredths worth.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

didnt mean to start drama guys i really was looking for advice but hoss i do not look at u as a bad guy at all and i know you was not dissing auto's even if you was i would not care haha i was just looking for advice for friday sorry for the drama. Thanks for all the advice tho guys i will be taking bits and pieces from what everyone is saying and i will post my numbers whenever i get a chance
Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

honestly the best thing you can do is just get out there and experiment with what works
Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

DAMN it...my computer froze right after I posted this GREAT ARTICULATE response and it's not here..UUGGHH.

Okay, I will summarize.

The whole auto VS 5spd discussion...

With the human element involved, an auto will be more consistent time and time again. It takes more of a "driver" to slip the clutch just right and hit the gears ON TIME, EVERY TIME. Now, not to say it's not possible. But the kind of manual drivers that are on their "A GAME" are few and far between.

Here's a quick question. How many of you have missed a shift??? I would venture a guess that most if not all of us have...atleast one time. So, the AUTO, wins.

Now to the point of the auto robbing all of the power VS a stick car. SAME CAR, SAME HP and the stick car hits every shift on time...the race will still be close. And when you get to real HP cars, the HP difference is almost negligible.

Now as far as FOURSIX...LOL. Well we have a way of weeding out the weak here. And just remember. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth closed and be viewed as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Peace,
Mitch
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Hey Mitch, hows your beautiful devillish elf doing? The one shown in your sig....lolz, lucky S.O.B
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Once again I had a hard time reading Mitch's post because my eyes gravitated to his sig............ Mitch is that really your girl?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Once again I had a hard time reading Mitch's post because my eyes gravitated to his sig............ Mitch is that really your girl?
Yes Sir..That's my Beth. She is FREAKIN' GORGEOUS!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1SLO85
DAMN it...my computer froze right after I posted this GREAT ARTICULATE response and it's not here..UUGGHH.

Okay, I will summarize.

The whole auto VS 5spd discussion...

With the human element involved, an auto will be more consistent time and time again. It takes more of a "driver" to slip the clutch just right and hit the gears ON TIME, EVERY TIME. Now, not to say it's not possible. But the kind of manual drivers that are on their "A GAME" are few and far between.

Here's a quick question. How many of you have missed a shift??? I would venture a guess that most if not all of us have...atleast one time. So, the AUTO, wins.

Now to the point of the auto robbing all of the power VS a stick car. SAME CAR, SAME HP and the stick car hits every shift on time...the race will still be close. And when you get to real HP cars, the HP difference is almost negligible.

Now as far as FOURSIX...LOL. Well we have a way of weeding out the weak here. And just remember. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth closed and be viewed as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Peace,
Mitch
Well said my friend. Even professional drivers miss shifts of a fairly regular basis. If you have a stick and NEVER miss a shift while drag racing, you most likely aren't pushing your car to it's limits and won't see what the car is really capable of. Definitely won't be running impressive times.

to the OP, since you are on the stock stall converter.....my advice would be to leave off of idle or at 1k MAX. Above 1k the stock converter will start aerate the fluid that is in your converter which will actually cause your 60 foot to suffer greatly. If you have a handheld try making minute adjustments in your shiftpoints and see if your ET improves. With your cam, you will find that you will see good results shifting above 6,000rpms. I'd start there and start bumping the up in 50rpm increments til you see no further gains.

Skip the water box on street tires for gods sake. You can not only ruin your launch, but can ruin the people's behind you as well. Street tires hold onto a lot of water in the tread and will track it up to the line. I'd run street tires at around 25psi and just give them a quicks spin to clean them off a bit before pulling up to the line.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Nice Mitch nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you guys race your cars?