4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

just got back from my first time at the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

what are DR's? And i had a lot in the trunk of my car too. My sub and amp with my box(weights 25 pounds), my books from school because i left my college and went straight to the track, my laptop, change of clothes, and my spare tire and jack too haha so i did not take anything out at all haha
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
what are DR's? And i had a lot in the trunk of my car too. My sub and amp with my box(weights 25 pounds), my books from school because i left my college and went straight to the track, my laptop, change of clothes, and my spare tire and jack too haha so i did not take anything out at all haha

DRs are drag radials. How is your traction off the line? You spinning a lot right now?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

yeah I am spinning alot. I let off of it everytime before i even got to second gear because i was spinning so much
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

i would go with drag radials before a stall and gears are a must aswell. if you dont plan on drag racing the car every weekend then a 15 inch rim with a slick would work. you should be able to go down the track on the slicks 4-5 times before you start to break stuff. altho i saw somewhere that a guy had made over 100 passes on the stock rear with slicks but i wouldnt trust it.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:36 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
yeah I am spinning alot. I let off of it everytime before i even got to second gear because i was spinning so much
Well, if that is the case, I retract my previous statements and agree with others that a set of drag radials would be a huge help. See where you are after that. I wouldn't worry too much about the diff with an auto. I know guys with thousands of passes on the stock diff with stalled autos and slicks/drs. Especially with the stock stall launching at like 1000rpm off the footbrake, you may never need to upgrade the diff.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:06 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
Not trying to rain on your parade, but your experience launching your 5-speed does not mean anything to a guy trying to launch an automatic. I hope you reach your goals, but what your car needs is different from what the OP needs. I guarantee that with stock gears and a stock stall converter, that he isn't really hurting too bad from a traction standpoint. How would adding more traction help if he isn't having traction problems? With all the suspension and tires you could buy, you still won't be below 2.0 with a stock stall converter and stock diff gears. Just won't happen with a mild N/A setup.

Given the OPs power level, he would most likely be able to cut 1.7-8s easily with a set of drag radials on stock suspension with the right level of stall and a set of 4.10s or better rear end gears.
I know my experience on a stick doesn't help the OP with an auto, but what I was saying not doing one over the other, but you you really need both. Whether you do the stall and gears or the suspension and tires, neither option is going to be as effective without the other.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1
I know my experience on a stick doesn't help the OP with an auto, but what I was saying not doing one over the other, but you you really need both. Whether you do the stall and gears or the suspension and tires, neither option is going to be as effective without the other.
I agree with you there
Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Dont forget is the middle of november up here in the NE and its cooooooold. The last few nights its been in the 30s so that doesnt help for the track either.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:38 AM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

That all depends on the track and how many people show up to some extent. At atco friday night, cars were getting enough heat in the track that it was hooking great, even toward the end of the night, and the cold air was making the power. I gained over a tenth on my previous best ET and almost every run that night was a full MPH or more over my previous best traps.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

I went to the track yesterday and am having the same problem launching mine.
I got a 2005 GT with Kooks Long tube system with Flowmaster exhaust.
JLT Intake, Detroit Rocker Cams, 91 octane with NITTO NT555's 255/50/17's and the best I managed was a 13.2 when previously before the Nitto's and cams I managed the same time as a best. I got a 5 spd. manual. Did I not launch it right or something because I don't see how I could not improve at all with the newer wider tires , Cams , and improved Intake?

Quick Reply: just got back from my first time at the track