4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Homework Question for the Thanksgiving Weekend (for the brains out there)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Default Homework Question for the Thanksgiving Weekend (for the brains out there)

First of all, happy thanksgiving week guys. Take the time to catch up on anything that you have fallen behind on. Eat, be happy, and be thankful for how lucky we all are

Now for the fun:

As a percentage of a full tank of gas, how much fuel do you think that the load of the entire electrical system (computer, radio, headlights, defrost, wipers, amps, etc) consume as a whole? (if any)

Please don't just guess I love me some knowledge
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Who cares? Electricity doesn't use gas.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
First of all, happy thanksgiving week guys. Take the time to catch up on anything that you have fallen behind on. Eat, be happy, and be thankful for how lucky we all are

Now for the fun:

As a percentage of a full tank of gas, how much fuel do you think that the load of the entire electrical system (computer, radio, headlights, defrost, wipers, amps, etc) consume as a whole? (if any)

Please don't just guess I love me some knowledge
and drinking beer and hunting deer. thanksgiving weekend is always my hot weekend of the season :-D.

not much. when i was younger (17ish) and used to drive home uhh...in questionable condition... during the winter time i would drive home freezing my nuts off and by the time i parked infront of the house the car was nice and toasty and i didnt want to get out. i always said "ima stay here and warm up for a second then get out and go inside". well long story short most nights i would end up passing out in my car with the heater on, radio on, lights off, and the gas tank would rarely move for about 5 hours worth of idling. v6 mustang.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
I think he means how much more gas is being used by the engine to spin the alternator to power the electrical systems in a car.

I don't think it's even measurable, unless you're talking in really small units. I'm sure there's some kind of calculation to figure it out, but it seems kind of pointless to bother to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

cliff would know lol
Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

1/795th of the tank=problem solved. Hope this helped
Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
LOL shows how smart you are...

Where do you think the electricity comes from genius? It takes energy to make energy..nothing is free.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^ LOL

and LOL at the "cliff would know" comment

But like said above, I'm sure there is a calculation to figure it out. Don't know where to look though. If you could tally up the total required elec. needed to run all the "parts" of your car (lights, radio, etc) then backtrack it to say the alt. need to produce "X" amount of elec.

From that you could quantify the amount of energy/power it takes to keep the car running. Convert the elec. needed to be produced by the alt. into power. So now you would have the power required by the alt. and the power required by the car to run.

Then I would guess to see how much energy is in a "unit" of gasoline. And from there can get the volume of gas. You would need to play with the numbers to get everything in common units obviously to compare them.

Burning a known, lets cay cubic inch of gasoline, can net you a known amount of power. All of it goes into running the car with a portion of it going to the elec components.

This makes sense in my head lol. Sorry if it confuses someone....or maybe I'm just wrong lol
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

I think Ox is talking more along the lines of you turning your radio up, headlights on, interior lights on, etc. doesn't have any effect on the amount of draw the alternator has on the car. The alternator pulls a draw on your engine based on your rpms and the amount of electronic devices that you have on doesn't effect your cars gas mileage one way or the other.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
I think Ox is talking more along the lines of you turning your radio up, headlights on, interior lights on, etc. doesn't have any effect on the amount of draw the alternator has on the car. The alternator pulls a draw on your engine based on your rpms and the amount of electronic devices that you have on doesn't effect your cars gas mileage one way or the other.
Doesnt effect GM.... how doesnt it.. its drawing power witch means its parasitic, therefore making the motor less efficient... it has to negatively effect GM lol.

Quick Reply: Homework Question for the Thanksgiving Weekend (for the brains out there)