4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I'm currently a GM fanboy, but I want a mustang...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 02:38 AM
XxBlakexX

Default I'm currently a GM fanboy, but I want a mustang...

And I'm not really sure why. My current car is a 1999 Pontiac Trans am 6 speed. I like, believe me. I just think that all of that power is a tad unnecessary. Also, the interior isn't very pretty either. So I have a few questions before I buy one (I will be buying a 99-04 GT 5 speed model if I do). #1 How's the handling? #2 What's it like driving a mustang? #3 I heard that heel and toe driving is a bit difficult due to pedal location. Is this true? #4 I seen single Saleen rims advertised for like...$125 each. Is this true? I LOVE me some saleen rims. #5 Is it 260 hp from the flywheel, or from the wheels?

Thanks guys. I hope to be a part of the mustang family soon!
Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

First thing to prepare for is a big loss in power and I do mean big. I had a 4V mustang that puts 300HP to the flywheel and LS1's smoked me. The handling is good stock, even better if you modify the suspension, much more forgiving that the Trans am. Driving a mustang is great, it's a good daily driver. The seats are higher up and it feels less like a Go Kart than the Trans am. Heel toe isn't that bad on the stang, no more than any other car. Yeah, you can find the Saleen wheels for pretty cheap and I agree that they are pure sex on a Mustang. 260HP is to the flywheel, figure 215ish to the wheels.

My personal recommendation is to skip the GT and go for an 01 Cobra or an 03-04 Mach 1, you wont regret it.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Having driven two Trans Am's before I purchase my mustang I think the handling and ride quality of the mustang is much better than the Trans Am.
I belive that the worst thing about the year Pontaic Trans Am you are driving is the common problems and issues those vehicles have that anyone would know if they spent time researching about your year Pontaic Trans Am.
Definitley sell it or trade it in and purchase mustang in the future you will
be glad you did when you start getting problems with your Trans Am and
you start spending alot of money to fix it.
I also think the Ford Mustang is a great daily driver and a more comfortable
vehicle to drive everyday.You are going to loss alot of power purchasing a 99-04 Mustang GT compaired to your Pontaic Trans Am you are driving now
but,you could also install a power adder to compensate for the power difference.I have a manual transmission in my mustang and I think the heel and toe driving is much easier in a mustang than your Trans Am aspecially
if you have a softer clutch like the nice Centerforce Dual Friction clutch I
have or even the stock clutch.You can get Saleen knock-off wheels cheap.
Saleen doesn't produce the real five star 99-04 Saleen wheels anymore but, you can find them sometimes on eBay if you search and some vendors still
sell them.I have seen that alot of vendors sell the Saleen knock-off wheels
though.Ford rated the 99-04 Mustang GT to have 260hp at the flywheel.
On a Dynojet dyno I have seen stock 99-04 Mustang GT's make 220-230 rwhp
stock.
Here are some links to check out mustangs for sale.
www.ebaymotors.com
www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com
Old 11-25-2010, 06:03 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

89 Iroc-Z with 305 TBI, t-tops, and some lynard skynard alllllll day long. Now thats a real car. On a less serious note than the Iroc, stock for stock ls1 > 4.6 unless its a stock ls1 vs. a stock 03/04 cobra. But like i said the 89 t-top Iroc + some skynard + a mullet= pure secks and you will get all the babes and thats a fact.

Last edited by uberstang1; 11-25-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

The 99-04 GT is a Great DD car. I've taken long road trips in mine and people actually tell me they're very comfortable. The shifter is next to the cupholder for a stick, but it's like that even in the new mustangs too. The 2v is rather skirmish when stock, but you can add 4.10s, a tune, full exhaust, and tb/plenum to wake the car up. I believe a cammed, full bolt on GT makes about what your firebird makes stock, for the most part. But for the money, they are great cars right now (you can easily find a 02-04 GT with less than 45k miles in great condition for like 6-8k). A lot of people just had their GTs as weekend drivers by older couples who most likely traded for the 5th gen mustang. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Also, 2v GTs are probably the best sounding domestic v8s since the original 5.0
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Having driven two Trans Am's before I purchase my mustang I think the handling and ride quality of the mustang is much better than the Trans Am.
I belive that the worst thing about the year Pontaic Trans Am you are driving is the common problems and issues those vehicles have that anyone would know if they spent time researching about your year Pontaic Trans Am.
Definitley sell it or trade it in and purchase mustang in the future you will
be glad you did when you start getting problems with your Trans Am and
you start spending alot of money to fix it.
I also think the Ford Mustang is a great daily driver and a more comfortable
vehicle to drive everyday.You are going to loss alot of power purchasing a 99-04 Mustang GT compaired to your Pontaic Trans Am you are driving now
but,you could also install a power adder to compensate for the power difference.I have a manual transmission in my mustang and I think the heel and toe driving is much easier in a mustang than your Trans Am aspecially
if you have a softer clutch like the nice Centerforce Dual Friction clutch I
have or even the stock clutch.You can get Saleen knock-off wheels cheap.
Saleen doesn't produce the real five star 99-04 Saleen wheels anymore but, you can find them sometimes on eBay if you search and some vendors still
sell them.I have seen that alot of vendors sell the Saleen knock-off wheels
though.Ford rated the 99-04 Mustang GT to have 260hp at the flywheel.
On a Dynojet dyno I have seen stock 99-04 Mustang GT's make 220-230 rwhp
stock.
Here are some links to check out mustangs for sale.
www.ebaymotors.com
www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com
Dude i think you've gotten waxed by too many LS1s...they're great cars idk why you think they "break" all the time and have all kinds of problems. If you've ever driven one for any period of time you'd realize that. I see you've owned your mustang for what 16 years? Doesn't sound like much time driving LSx powered cars.

The 2v gt is a great dd...enough power to have fun...kicka** sound..great looking. Throw full exhaust and gears in your gt and you'll have a really fun daily driver.

And it doesn't sound like the OP is looking for high hp since his LS1 is too "unnecessary" so i think the 2v gt will do just fine for him.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by XxBlakexX
And I'm not really sure why. My current car is a 1999 Pontiac Trans am 6 speed. I like, believe me. I just think that all of that power is a tad unnecessary. Also, the interior isn't very pretty either. So I have a few questions before I buy one (I will be buying a 99-04 GT 5 speed model if I do). #1 How's the handling? #2 What's it like driving a mustang? #3 I heard that heel and toe driving is a bit difficult due to pedal location. Is this true? #4 I seen single Saleen rims advertised for like...$125 each. Is this true? I LOVE me some saleen rims. #5 Is it 260 hp from the flywheel, or from the wheels?

Thanks guys. I hope to be a part of the mustang family soon!

Handling on the mustangs are great, add some SFCs and a good set of springs and it's a whole new vehicle.

Driving mustangs are great, I still miss mine. Had it close to 2 years and drove it everyday 40 mile round trip to school.

Heel toe isn't that difficult in the stangs, maybe a personal opinion but what ever.

And that price is correct sir, you will find that most mods for the mustang are going to be A LOT cheaper than anything you would want to do to a GM car. I was looking at wheels for my formula and would be paying close to a $1000 for a set of good looking wheels.

260hp is at the flywheel. They really are some underpowered cars, especially after driving a firebird or camaro. But after a couple of mods, gears, tune, full exhaust some basic bolt ons; they really wake up. I had mine sitting at close to 280hp/302trq.

There is definitely nothing like a mustang, and they are great cars.

Last edited by Capt Hair; 11-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Dude i think you've gotten waxed by too many LS1s...they're great cars idk why you think they "break" all the time and have all kinds of problems. If you've ever driven one for any period of time you'd realize that. I see you've owned your mustang for what 16 years? Doesn't sound like much time driving LSx powered cars.

The 2v gt is a great dd...enough power to have fun...kicka** sound..great looking. Throw full exhaust and gears in your gt and you'll have a really fun daily driver.

And it doesn't sound like the OP is looking for high hp since his LS1 is too "unnecessary" so i think the 2v gt will do just fine for him.
I think over time the GM cars just fall apart. You can't say anything about that cuz your dads has what, like 20k miles? IIRC. So, just give it time things will start rattling and shaking. I test drove an 02 SS and it was so uncomfortable that i didn't care about the power advantage. Compete ****
Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Capt Hair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gif4445
I think over time the GM cars just fall apart. You can't say anything about that cuz your dads has what, like 20k miles? IIRC. So, just give it time things will start rattling and shaking. I test drove an 02 SS and it was so uncomfortable that i didn't care about the power advantage. Compete ****
I think like anything its really situational to the individual car (no matter what the make). My Formula is about to roll 160k on the clock and it's still as smooth and runs as great as ever.

But OT: get a stang OP!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:57 PM
XxBlakexX

Thanks for the responses guys! I really don't want to mod it though. I heard that the stock 0-60 time for the gt was 5.5 seconds. If this is true, then that's plenty.

Quick Reply: I'm currently a GM fanboy, but I want a mustang...