4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY WITH HIS 1ST MUSTANG:)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 AM
speedhungry

Default PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY WITH HIS 1ST MUSTANG:)

I HAVE A 1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L VERT WITH THE TKO 5 SPEED.
I SOLD MY BMW M3 TO BUY A BIKE AND THIS MUSTANG. IT'S MY 1ST MUSTANG AND MY 1ST AMERICAN CAR, BUT I LIKE IT. I WORKED FOR NISSAN FOR 5 YEARS AND NOW WORK FOR BMW AS A ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ALSO. I RARELY EVER WORK ON ANY AMERICAN CARS, BUT THE 1ST CAR MY DAD HAD WHEN WE CAME TO THIS COUNTRY, FROM COSTA RICA WAS A MUSTANG. I ALWAYS LOVED THE WAY THEY SOUND AND BOUGHT THIS ONE BECAUSE OF THE WAY IT SOUNDS. IT HAS NO CATS ON IT, BBK H PIPE, AND FLOW-MASTERS. I PICKED IT UP CHEAP AND HAD ENOUGH TO GET A NICE BIKE SO I'M HAPPY. HERE IS SOME OF THE STUFF THE GUY SAYS HE HAS ALREADY DONE TO IT, THAT I COPIED FROM HID ADD ON CRAIGSLIST;

New OFFICIAL NASCAR Clutch installed 11/13/10!! New motor was put in late November of 2009 from a 96 mustang gt with 68,000 miles.
Transmission tremec TKO was rebuilt around October by Lamota. The whole rear end was rebuilt with Ford Racing 4.10 gears and new axles.
I just installed a new aftermarket rear differential cover.
Hurst short throw shifter
PI intake manifold was installed in April 2010.
Under drive pulleys were installed may 2010. They are brothers performance UD pulleys.
Last tune up was in march. I changed plugs and wires.
I only used mobile 1 full synthetic oil. Mustang Saleem rims!
the rear rims are 10.5 inches wide the fronts are only 9 inches.
the drive shaft is custom to the transmission which was made by Drive-line in Orlando.
The motor and transmissions mounts are polyurethane.
In June I installed shocks AND springs on the care. They are Tokico Blue springs and shocks.
When i installed the suspension I also installed rear upper and lower control arms. Dual flow-masters exhaust system!!! Have hear to believe!!! legally tinted windows. Styling bar with led brake light! I have the air compressor just needs to be installed. A little body damage on the drivers but very strong and sound car!! All it needS is some paint and it's a show car!! Easily $8000 worth of extras or more on the car!!

I CAN VERIFY EVERYTHING ON HIS POST IS TRUE, EXCEPT THE WHOLE NASCAR CLUTCH AND TKO TRANNY. MY FRIEND HAS A FOX BODY AND KNOWS MUSTANGS A LOT BETTER THAN I DO. HE SAID THAT IT'S A REAL TREMEC TKO 5 SPEED TRANNY. HE SAYS IT'S THE BEST TRANNY FORD MAKES, BUT MINE GOES INTO REVERSE RUFF AND GRINDS. I DON'T KNOW WHO THESE LAMOTA PEOPLE ARE THAT HE SAYS REBUILT THE TRANNY ARE??? THE CLUTCH PEDAL DOES FELL REALLY HARD, BUT I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A NASCAR CLUTCH IN A STREET CAR. HE CLAIMS THE MOTOR IS OUT OF A 96 GT WITH 86K AND WAS PUT IN LAST NOVEMBER, BUT IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THAT HE FOUND A 96 GT MOTOR WITH ONLY 86K IN 2009! I LOOKED FOR ENGINE IDENTIFICATION TO SEE IF THEY MATCH THE VIN#. I DID NOT SEE THEM AND DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY ARE??? THE CAR HAS 90K ON IT, BUT THE MILEAGE OR TIP METER ARE NOT WORKING FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG. I THINK IT'S A INTERNAL PROBLEM IN THE CLUSTER, BUT NOT SURE. THE SPEED-ODOMETER ALSO IS NOT WORKING, I THINK THAT WILL BE JUST A SPEED SENSOR OR SOMETHING ELSE ELECTRICAL. THE VOLTAGE GAUGE IS NOT WORKING ALSO, EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS GREAT! ANY INFO ON THIS WOULD BE NICE. I DID A VACUUM TEST ON THE MOTOR AND IT WAS A HEALTHY 20PSI. THAT AND ALL THE NEW BUSHINGS AND SUSPENSION WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO PAY $4,000 FOR IT. IF ANY MUSTANG EXPERTS HAVE ANY HELPFUL INFO, I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE IT. I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A HAPPY THANKSGIVING. I'M THANKFUL TO HAVE MY 1ST AMERICAN MUSTANG AND TO BE PART OF THIS FORUM
Old 11-26-2010, 11:57 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Almost sounds like you bought yourself somebody else's headache... That's crazy that nothing in the cluster is even working. How is the car even starting if the speedo and mileage aren't working?

Do you have any pics of the car?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Turn caps off please
Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

i dont know if i would have sold an m3 for this mustang
Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

a nascar clutch? LMAO! that was your warning sign right there.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
This. ^
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea buddy doesn't sound too promising for you..
Old 11-26-2010, 10:49 PM
SteveGT2000

If it has all that then whatever else he had failed. I'm guessing he just beat the hell out of it got some new stuff & sold it before it broke.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
Indeed that should have been a sign right there.
Too late now though since you already bought it from him now
you are both ghosts.
Sounds to me like he abused the car and then sold it to you before
it finally broke you got taken.
Since you are stuck with the car you mite as well fix it and drive it.
Replace your "Nascar clutch" lol with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.
The petal pressure is soft almost like a stock clutch and it will hold
plenty of power also.

www.performanceintl.com
Old 11-27-2010, 01:59 PM
speedhungry

Bladerunner, thanks for the info. I'm dropping the tranny to see whats really in there, I had a spec stage 2 in my bimmer and this clutch pedal feels similar. Out of everybody on here you are the only one leave me with valuable info, I appreciate it bro. I changed the speed sensor and it works now, the voltage gauge had a lose wire and it is also working now. Now I just need the trip meter and mileage to work. I think it's gear driven, I will look into it myself. Since nobody but, you knows anything around here. Forums are meant for people to share facts about solutions that they have had success with. So that others can benefit from it, not to just share your opinion! I would have never sold my bimmer for any Ford, but I wanted a bike, needed Christmas money since work is slow. I'm all about taking junk and making beauty out of it anytime. I will drive it until it goes and do swap later, thanks again bladerunner

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY WITH HIS 1ST MUSTANG:)