4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

ID these wheels pleeze!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by teej281

I actually think these wheels look good and I could use a set of sticky tires for drag racing and saving my half shafts... "

Teej
I don't get it... ?

You want to run M/T's to SAVE your half-shafts.... lol

Jazzer
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, its funny you mention that Jazzer. All of my research towards drag racing with an IRS points to the most failure of half shafts is a stiff sidewall tire or drag radial. The point of running a MT ET Street is that the ripple wall slicks actually absorb a lot of the shock at launch that causes half shaft failure and breakage. If you post over on SVTP, you'll see that this is one of the general rules of thumb to drag racing a cobra equipped IRS car. See, an 03 cobra IRS has 31 spline half shafts to begin with, so they are actually reasonably strong, but the shock of a launch plays hell on them. So you put a ripple wall slick on, it absorbs some of the shock of a hard launch and actually helps keep your half shafts intact. lol didnt make sense to me either...but it definitely works as a lot of guys have less failures with the slicks than drag radials and street tires. Also, the slicks help keep wheel hop at bay.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

ok scratch what i said those wheels are different from the normal steelies that people put on trucks i believe they are a dragon?? brand wheel i remember reading about them and they are not as heavy as the old school steelie wheels
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I think they look like wheels that belong on a whiskey runner. Coool.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you ripple a slick, it's not putting the power to the ground - it's going into the rubber. Instead, just don't launch as hard. Same effect either way, and no ugly wheels needed.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by teej281
Yea, its funny you mention that Jazzer. All of my research towards drag racing with an IRS points to the most failure of half shafts is a stiff sidewall tire or drag radial. The point of running a MT ET Street is that the ripple wall slicks actually absorb a lot of the shock at launch that causes half shaft failure and breakage. If you post over on SVTP, you'll see that this is one of the general rules of thumb to drag racing a cobra equipped IRS car. See, an 03 cobra IRS has 31 spline half shafts to begin with, so they are actually reasonably strong, but the shock of a launch plays hell on them. So you put a ripple wall slick on, it absorbs some of the shock of a hard launch and actually helps keep your half shafts intact. lol didnt make sense to me either...but it definitely works as a lot of guys have less failures with the slicks than drag radials and street tires. Also, the slicks help keep wheel hop at bay.
Makes some sense, as the energy is, for lack of a better word... "fead" slower into the shafts and appearantly avoids the shock of hard grip. I would not have guessed it, but those guys are running the 1/4 on IRS, so they would certainly know better than I.

I am curious about one thing though and asked this question just the other day re: half-shafts and digging off the line. I don't really understand why the IRS is soo vulnerable to this issue, while the SRA is not...? I mean, what is the difference between the shafts of the IRS and those of the SRA? I cannot find any difference, except "maybe" some better support so as to not "flex" as much as the IRS...?

Bueller.... bueller....?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well seeing that the half shafts are not one piece like the axles of an SRA, and that the half shaft flexes on launch, thats pretty much the reason why. They have CV joints in the half shafts that can be weak stock and can have some play. When they receive the full shock of a hard launch, they can break. There are halfshafts on the market that use porsche style CV joints with stronger internal cages and races and thicker center bars, but they are $2000 for the set of two, but are good for 1000rwhp. Stock pieces can hold plenty, just dont use a stiff sidewall tire and launch the hell out of the car.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

the thing that breaks half shafts mostly is wheel hop not so much the launch iirc
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I think its both really. Its partially the shock and partially the wheel hop because you're not hooking. So in reality, the slicks get rid of both so its hard to tell which it really is in the end. I mean with hoosier and mt drag radials people dont have hop but they still break half shafts. So who knows.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by LilRoush
If you ripple a slick, it's not putting the power to the ground - it's going into the rubber. Instead, just don't launch as hard. Same effect either way, and no ugly wheels needed.
This is an incorrect statment, a wrinkle wall tile winkles because the tire is biting an propelling the car forward and even enough to pick the front tires off the ground instead of just spinning the hell out of the tires and getting a poor launch. There is no "loss of power". But by the context of your post I assume you were kidding.

Quick Reply: ID these wheels pleeze!