4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Kind of Glad I'm Poor

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM
IEGT1015
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I think the C6 Corvette's are definitley impressive vehicles.
Although I would rather own a 2003-2004 Cobra or
2011 Subaru Impreza STI instead.
I have done some research before on the C6 Corvette's and
have found they are expensive on insurance,expensive to replace
parts,notorious for clutches failing,and overheating due to water
pumps failing.
What 1/4 mile times does the C6 Corvette and C6 Z06 put down?
Around 11 seconds?
STI's are also very expensive on insurance and on parts.

c6 z06>STI all day
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

pumps failing.
Around 11 seconds?
If you were going with an STI I'd go for the '08-'10. The '11s handle slightly better but are about a half second slower to 60 mph. Its at the point where the WRX handles just as good and is faster than the STI which is kinda sad, but it also makes the WRX more of a steal.

I'm pretty sure my next ride is going to be a WRX or WRX STI. I love those things.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:56 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Since when are vettes "notorious" for failed clutches and water pumps????
Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yea i don't know either haha. Vettes are amazing cars...and id love to have one just to show those "olD" men how they should really drive one lol.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kerns
First of all the clutch is so ridiculously soft in that thing I was worried about breaking it.
its because all of the old men that buy them are too big of pussies to handle a heavy clutch.

but for the record a C6 Z is absolute ****. i would definitely like to own one one day.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I'm getting to and maybe already there, to the point where I would rather a nice clean "peppy" car rather than a loud harsh riding one. I had o/r x pipe and magnapacks and added cats to shut the car up, I've contemplated going even quieter.

I will never add stock suspension back on my car, but I wouldn't mind softening it up a tad while keeping my stance.

I have never been in one or test drove on so I can't share the experiance. Only comfortable, nice riding fast car was one of my boss's 06 GTO he redid to a 6.6L with 200 shot and could run 10's, but didn't do it much due to not wanting to put a cage in it. Stock exhaust/suspension and that thing was a nice car. Hell his BACK seats were more comfy than my FRONT seats ahaha
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
its because all of the old men that buy them are too big of pussies to handle a heavy clutch.

but for the record a C6 Z is absolute ****. i would definitely like to own one one day.
Have you ever driven a cable clutch in heavy stop and go traffic for hours on end? How about when you're almost home from a 7 hour drive? It definitely can get heavy and frustrating for myself and I'm in great shape. I wish my car had a hydraulic clutch.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^sissy...work your legs more. I hate hydraulic clutches...I drove an 08 GT for a test drive and stalled it because it was too light. It would take some getting used to but I like my 04 because you can FEEL the car.

EDIT:I have driven a 16 hr drive in my car and right as I was getting close to where I was going I hit downtown 5pm Columbus traffic....I don't know how you drive but mine was all highway and I wasn't using my clutch that often lol

Last edited by smitty2919; 12-02-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
^sissy...work your legs more. I hate hydraulic clutches...I drove an 08 GT for a test drive and stalled it because it was too light. It would take some getting used to but I like my 04 because you can FEEL the car.

EDIT:I have driven a 16 hr drive in my car and right as I was getting close to where I was going I hit downtown 5pm Columbus traffic....I don't know how you drive but mine was all highway and I wasn't using my clutch that often lol
Haha believe me I work my legs plenty. I will agree with hydraulic clutches being light though- it took a bit for me to get a hang of my friends STI, but once I got the hang of it it was no problem.

I drive back and forth to school a lot and I live in New York. So I ALWAYS without fail get caught in traffic right by the Holland Tunnel and then again on Canal St, then yet again on the Manhattan Bridge and yet again on Flatbush. It SUCKS when you're tired and just want to be home.

On the highways, I'll agree its no problem. I drove from Buffalo to Milwaukee last year and that was a piece of cake (although I don't know how some of you guys live in Ohio, thats the most boring state ever).
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

pumps failing.
Around 11 seconds?
I agree, I'd rather own a Coba first mainly for keeping my insurance low. A c6 zo6 would be a nice graduation gift for myself. What would you guys rather have, a c6 zo6 or a gt 500?

Quick Reply: Kind of Glad I'm Poor